positioning my new Forte ll's.

johnymac

I am amazed how nice these speakers are. I just picked up a pair used yesterday. I am loving these speaks. They are in near perfect condition, minor scratch on the top of one from a picture frame on it. More like a scuff, only defect on them.

In any case I have on my stereo, I had intended to use as my front channel of my surround system, but am thinking of using my KLF 30's for that and using my Forte's on my stereo.

I have read out here and other places that positioning of the Forte's is very important. I can honestly say the first place I put down sounded great. I have tried moving closer to wall farther away etc.. Can't tell any difference. They just sound great.

Is there a spot where these should be placed. 6/12 inches from back/side wall? I currently have them in the corners toed in, about 14' a part. Just curious at this point.

Just as a comparisoin, I think my KLF 30's are more efficient, brighter, a bit louder of course, but these forte's a flatter and warmer sound for sure.

I love them both!

Thanks for any advice here.

I'm a fan of the Forte II also.

There is an internet review which claims placement, or at least aiming, is a big issue. Maybe the author had a peculiar room.

I have mine at the office. They are in corners, though not quite touching them. They are toed in and they sit behind my desk. Therefore I'm really sitting very close and the aiming actually intersects nearer the front of the desk, on the visitor's side.

I find they are just a bit brighter when sitting in the target spot. But not much. My recall is that the reviewer suggested sitting off axis. I find that okay too, but, again, there is not that much difference.

There seems no reason to make a big deal about any specific setting, particularly if the layout of the room presents limited options. I like the corner placement though and believe there is great merit to it.

Gil

Since the wall behind my Forte IIs only has a corner on one side, I set them up as follows: well away (~2 ft or more) from side walls, pushed up to within about 8-10 inches of the wall behind them, about 6 ft apart, and slightly toed in towards my listening position approximately 8 ft away. A good place to start with your toe-in is to pick a point a foot or two behind your listening position and aim your speakers at it. When seated at your listening position, you should just barely see the inner panels on the enclosures.

Also important for proper stereo imaging, since the Forte II enclosure is about 1-2 inches too short (at slightly under 36"), is to put something under the front bottom edges of the cabinets to give you a few degrees' "angle of attack" (plastic Lego blocks work good.) This, when combined with judicious toe-in, will tighten up your imaging immensely. For something a little more permanent, I recommend a good spike kit. Visit partsexpress.com and go with the heavy duty spike kit. Tip: only install three spikes on each speaker (two in front, one in back). This makes levelling a whole lot easier. Once you've got 'em in, just screw each rear spike into the threaded mounting hole a few rotations until about a half inch of the tip is exposed. This should create a nice up angle. From your seated position, you want to (again) "just barely" see the tops of your enclosure. WAF Warning! Small knick-knacks will now slide off of your speakers! Good luck and happy listening.