RS-3 or SS-1?

jefnel1

I need new surround speakers to go with my RF-3 mains and RC-3 center. Would a pair of SS-1 surrounds match my speakers just as well as the RS-1 surrounds? The RS-3's are very large in size, so if the SS-1's match just as well, I'd rather go with those. Is there a big difference in sound/quality?

Information is always appreciated.

A lot of people don't have matching surrounds, myself included and I enjoy my system (use full size floor speakers in the rear--old Panasonic Thrusters).

The RS's will match better, the issue is does it make a difference to you. Demo them in home and see. I recommend trying both DD & DTS soundtracks.

If you listen to 5 channel stereo (I find music is always more demanding than HT) you may prefer the reference model. Is your system for HT or music or what?

I use the system for 50/50 HT and music. I don't use any DSP processing like 5 channel stereo for music at the moment. I am considering the purchase of a DVD-Audio player though, and that format is 6.1 channel encoding. Would you suggest going with the RS-3's for this reason?

Jefnel - I haven't directly compared them in size, but it does not strike me that the RS-3's are THAT much bigger than the SS-1's. Yes, somewhat, but is it really unmanageable? Since the RS-3 are part of the same family, they will blend better, overall, than the SS-1s.

However, for DVD-A, I think a lot of people are suggesting the use of direct-radiating speakers rather than wide-dispersion speakers for the rears (again, I think -- not sure on that). If you can swing it, you may choose to have 2 pairs of rear speakers: one for HT and one for audio. If that isn't in the cards for you, I'd go for the RS-3s -- they will better match your fronts for the DVD-A.

Doug