heresy woofer noise

tom b

Greetings from a totally nontech type: The speakers were bought in '88 and have been doing great until recently. One woofer sounds like it has a torn cone even at moderate volume but I can't find any damage, wear and tear, etc.

Is this part of a woofer's slow death or do circuitry problems arise that imitate woofer damage?

Thanks

tom b

It's a heavy "braaat" sound that I've always associated with torn cones or the worn out/broken foam that goes around the cones of other brands of woofers. When a boom box car with a broken woofer pulls up next to you, it's the painful noise you hear.

tom b

Your spider suspension may have broke. I you remove the woofer and look at the back through the basket you should see a (usually) yellow spider. This centers and suspends the voice coil, along with the rubber surround. If this is broken or damaged on one side, the voice coil does not stay centered on the pole piece. One way to check without removing the woofer is to tap around the woofer without it playing. Tap close to the rubber surround on the paper cone. If you hear a click or a "brat" (I think) that may be your problem.

Your spider suspension may have broke. I you remove the woofer and look at the back through the basket you should see a (usually) yellow spider. This centers and suspends the voice coil, along with the rubber surround. If this is broken or damaged on one side, the voice coil does not stay centered on the pole piece. One way to check without removing the woofer is to tap around the woofer without it playing. Tap close to the rubber surround on the paper cone. If you hear a click or a "brat" (I think) that may be your problem.

Thanks for the idea but the spider seems intact. I took out the woofer to check as well. Perhaps the spider has weakened below than the strength necessary to properly hold the coil; perhaps likewise the diaphram holding the cone.

Thanks again!

tom b