Can someone explain how tuning ports affect the sound.

m00n

Best pics are here:

http://www.acoustic-visions.com/tumult.htm

Company that makes it (same company that makes the Shiva and Tempest):

http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/drivers/adire/tumult.htm

This driver is a beast. Driver by itself is 49lbs. Little over 5.1L of very linear Vd (to match the output of this driver at the same distortion level would require roughly 3 Tempests). Would not be hard to build a sub with this driver that will easily outclass a Krell MRS. But it's not cheap at $500 a pop.

Hmmm... you have me thinking once again about building an enclosure right into my stadium seating I will be building in my theater... This could solve two problems of mine. I want some lower frequencies, plus I really want some transducers. I would have to image that this thing would shake the crap out of my floor.

Say as I just mentioned, I wanted to mount this in my riser floor. I am thinking a sealed box under the riser flooring. Where would I find out what size box would be best and what enclosure type as in ported, non ported, passive radiator or just sealed.... Here I created a crude image... You have any good ideas?

post-9291-13819246651434_thumb.jpg

Somewhere in the 40-100 litre range should work well for a sealed enclosure. Just build it very strong. Head over to the DIY section of hometheaterforum.com and Anthony G or Brian Bunge (as well as Dan W at Adire) will be able to help you out with the specifics of enclosure size, how much power you'll need and getting your hands on a LT circuit.

Also remember that the driver is roughly 12" deep and should have some space for the pole piece to vent out the back. So make sure your risers will be tall enough to accommodate this beast.