Yamaha RX-777- a mistake?

bobd

I recently got my Forte's back. While I was without them I had a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers. I used an old Yamaha to drive them and at some point bought a new Yamaha RX-777 reciever for more power. Now that I have my Forte's back I've been reading a lot on theis NG about the HK430 and EICO HF-81 as being a goosd match for my Fortes. I feel like I screwed up in spending so much on a new Yamaha as opposed to buying a HK430 for 100 bucks. Are the older SS amps and cheap tube amps that much better than a new SS amp like the Yamaha 777? should I sell the Yamaha and get a tube amp or one of the older HK's? What do you think?

Don't let your mind become overly infected with everyone else's ideas of what sounds 'best'. What do your ears say? Does it sound good or bad?

Tubes are wonderful yes -- but you might take a real beating on that thing if you try to sell it. Trust your ears, and if you decide you want to try something different, you might be better off keeping it, and saving for an affordable tube amp so you can compare and make up your own mind.