Marantz DV8300

ssh

My Marantz DV8300 arrived yesterday.It's been promised for six weeks.It is (now) worth all of the hassle of unmet delivery expectations.It was manufactured in January,so I guess I should understand.My first listen was The_ Guitar_ Trio_ (1996) Paco de Lucia,Al Di Meola,& John Mc Laughlin.Then I watched Insomnia_.What a difference a source makes.I'm buying SACD's today.If you're looking for a DVD/SACD player in the 1-2K range, it is worth an audition. 1.gif

Strabo,

I didn't get SACD's yesterday.My comparisons for CD & DVD units are a little unfair,since I have upgraded from a $450 JVC 7 disc (that I have been very happy with,and think is an excellent value).BUT...I unplugged the JVC and connected to a signifigantly improved sound environment.I was,well,a little giddy.The music was much more palpable.

I had seen Insomnia_ on my JVC.It wouldn't have been my first choice for a 'first movie',but my girlfriend rented it,and it was worth seeing again.The video quality is stunning compared to the JVC.My TV is an RCA 16:9 HDTV.In progressive mode,the Marantz shows its' strong suit.The sound is great,but this is a superb video player.I didn't see any digititus.

If anyone has movie suggestions to test with,recommend them.

1.gif

I have seen and heard the 8300 in "all" modes....that baby is sweeetttt3.gif

I own the Reference DV-12S1and if the 8300 was out before then...guess which 1 I'd buy...not a hard choice...even save a couple of bucks....HA 8.gif

Marantz was known for it's gear in the 60's and 70's...after that....UGHHH...

Now that they are North American owned with Denon, D&M Holdings LTD, Ripplewood,

at that price for the unit, compare....check out the reviews....

Marantz is a SERIOUS player in the HT market IMHO...OH YEAH 2.gif

I finally stopped by my local Marantz dealer last night with SACD's in had to do some listening and wouldn't you know it. They sold the demo. It was the only one they had. It was even plugged into the Anthem pre so I would have had a great comparison as I'm used to the Anthem.

They are running a week long unpublished demo sale at this store and I missed it. Crap. I knew about the sale, but was too slow.

I've seen one review of this unit and it only gave one short paragraph on the audio qualities. Guess I'll have to hunt some more.