Subwoofer in HT question

Alright, im just clairfying. Now my setup consists of 4 floorstanding speakers. 2x Pioneer CS-R700's and Research Acoustic LS-30's and will drive down to around the 55-65hz range, which is good, but I need that extra 20-30hz bottom end Promedia 4.1's subwoofer provides, so I wanted to..for now..put it downstairs with my HT setup. The back of my DVD player has a RCA sub input/output and I know I need a 1/8th female to RCA male convertor (I believe) to hook up the subwoofer. The question is, how can I use just the subwoofer, but not the rest of sats., and if I have to...how can I use the sub, but keep the sats. volume down or off so it doesn't interfear. My 62" HDTV has a sep. subwoofer control, I mean would that work..or what?

Thanks, later!

so the promedia amplifier is powering the floor standing speakers?

DON'T DO THIS!

This is a small amp and will likely begin to clip as it is trying to power big speakers, esp unefficient ones. You will not only possibly kill the amp but your voice coils in the speakers as well.

Ohhh, no no no, I think you misunderstood me. The floorstanding speakers are being run off an older Sony Receiver at 50 a channel. The floorstanding speakers are 75w max, very efficent speakers.

But anyhoo, the Promedia subwoofer won't come near it, it will be plugged in the back of my DVD player which has an RCA subwoofer input/output. I would need however a 1/8 mini to RCA convertor. The question was however, if I could use only the subwoofer, and not the sats. Lets say I couldn't, could I just turn down the sats. all the way, and then control the subwoofer with the subwoofer volume from my DVD/TV.

I'm just asking because I know people in here have done it, I just need to know how and if I can do it the way I want to. If the old Altec subwoofer works, then the promedia should work as well, the thing I'm wondering is the sats. as I just want to use the subwoofer.

Efficiency is not the max wattage. A pair of Kinyo speakers can't take more than 10 watts RMS but they are FAR from efficient.

Efficiency is how few watts it takes to get MAX volume. My speakers are >96dB/w/m That is more than 96dB's at 1 watt from 1 meter away.

more later

No I know, my Pioneer's are 91db/w/m and the Acoustics are 89db/w/m.

But Anyhoo, what ya think about the above. Like I said, if the old altec sub worked, then the promedia should so long as I get the convertor, but do I have to use the sats.? Or can I turn them down and use the subwoofer volume for sub only through my DVD/TV sub controls.

you don't have to use the sats, just leave the unpluged. you CAN remove the control pod from the speaker it sits on, unscrew the speaker stand and slide the control pod back and then pull down. then you don't even need the speakers around.

89dB/w/m is NOT sensitive, quite the contrary actually 1.gif

ok the back of the sub has the din plug, and the a bunch of the 1/8 mini's for the speakers. If I left the sats. unplugged, what would I used to plug in back of DVD? I mean would I just use one of those (The speaker cord), slap it with the convorter, and then plug in.

Sorry, so many question...im just trying to fully understand this.

I hope this works better for you than it did for me... I used the PM5.1 sub with no sats attached and plugged it to my HT receiver sub pre out and I had to max the volume before any bass was heard at all. Maybe my adapter was just wrong... but it was not loud. It also cut the output of my main sub in half, so I was getting horrible bass. It should work for you, though, my PM's are just jealous because I use my HT and headphones more. 9.gif

Well that and im not touching my reciever, cause im afraid too. My DVD player has the imput and will accept any input, could be 1/2/4/8ohm's and as long as the sub/system is self amplified, the dvd will treat it as so.

Like I said if my older self amped Altec 6" worked fine, then this will as well. The only question I have remaining is this.

Ok so it would work, my question is how would I set it up from the back of my subwoofer? You guys said this could be done with subwoofer only, but how? Would I just use one of the speaker inputs, attach it..then run it to the back of the subwoofer or what? thats the only question I have left.

Thank you all for your hospitatlity(sp?).

Can someone please tell me if this hissing noise and tweeter popping sound is normal. I just got them TODAY. Can someone walk me through the setup process with windows. I have windows XP home edition . EVEN at low volumen the satellaties sound like they're about to explote ... horrible sound ... I have a pretty new gateway computer with a 6 port sound card...

I need some help here guys ... I appreciate it

thanks

Well I tried the 1/8 jack to RCA and plugged it into my AUX on the control pad, which I unscrewed from sats. I plugged it into my Sub out on my DVD player, and well I got the same problem, I had to turn it up ALOT to hear any decent bass, but I was still only hearing maybe 30-50% subs real ability, which is crap. So I tried to hooked the 1/8th into the back of one of the sat. connecters, and well then the sub didn't work at all.

So I have to try something else, or it won't work at all. Anybody got any ideas?