Help! KSW-12 with Accoustimass 10

tangman99

Hi, I'm new here and have a couple of questions about adding my KSW-12 subwoofer to my existing BOSE accoustimass 10 system. Sorry for this being a long post.

My current setup that I've had for over a year is the Accoustimass 10 speaker system connected to a Yamaha V922 receiver. I just added the KSW-12 today and have no idea of how to correctly modify my Yamaha settings.

My original settings were as follows:

Bass:Main

Center:Normal

Rear:Large

Main:Large

I now have my KSW-12's LFE connection connected to one of the two subwoofer outputs on my Yamaha which filters the bass to 90Hz. That is the only connection I have to the sub-woofer. After connecting the subwoofer, my new settings on my Yamaha are:

Bass:Both

Center:Normal

Rear:Large

Main:Large

Should these be different?

I placed the subwoofer in the front left corner of my room right next to the accoustimass bass module. I'm getting sound from it and working on getting it to sound OK.

One thing that does not appear to be working correct is the LED on the front panel. The instructions say that when the amp is in standby, the LED is red and when it detects a signal and is working, the LED is Green. I have mine in the auto mode and the LED is always RED even when sound is coming out. If I power everything down and turn the amp in the off position, the LED is still RED. It never goes out and never turns green. Is something wrong with my setup?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

I'm not familiar with the nomenclature used on the Yamaha, but I can't resist taking a stab at this.

I think you want to set the Yamaha so that all speakers are "small," in other words, don't produce bass below 90hz. I think that is safe to say if you are using cube satellite speakers. Set the Yamaha to indicate you have a sub woofer, and that you want ALL bass to go to the sub. Get a y-adapter (1 female to 2 male), connect it to the sub cable at the sub end, then connect the 2 males into both the line inputs of the Klipsch sub. Set the sub crossover at the max setting (or bypass it if that is allowed), as your Yamaha is already doing the crossover.

On the Yamaha, what does "Bass: Both" do? Does it send bass to both mains and sub? Again, I'd only send bass to the sub, and not tax the cube speakers.

Doug

Dougdrake, BOTH selected on the Yamaha will send bass to sub and mains, when LARGE is selected for mains. When SMALL is selected for mains all bass is sent to sub no matter what is selected via the SW/MAIN/BOTH menu.

Tangman99, If you don't mind me asking, how did you reach the decision to purchase the b ose system? Did you audition/compare anything else?

Joe T

Hi everyone,

Sorry, been traveling on my job for two days.

The bose system was a christmas present from my wife two year ago and I can't complain as I have always liked the system. Then again, it is my first surround system so I don't really have anything to compare it with. Regardless, it's a present from the wife and it definitely is not going in the trash.

Since I posted this, I connected my main B speaker outputs from the Yamaha to the L and R inputs on the Sub and that seemed to make a dramatic difference in the bass. I'm not sure if I'm getting additional bass signals (I think I am as I can tell a difference now if changing the level of the 40-120 knob on the sum) as the yamaha cuts of anything above 90 or if I am just getting twice the signal and it sounds louder.

I did not quite understand the Y cable connection as the only connection on the back of the sub are the LR IN, LR out (Banana connectors or twist down) and the LFE RCA connector and some RCA connector right beside the LFE that is red and labeled R (I'm assuming it is RIGHT).

Thanks for the replies!

the ksw-12 & it's ideosyncratic hook-up/compatiability issues urggg...

to hook it up both speaker level (out of your

b jacks) & line level seems to provide good if not the best results for all the dif formats. because the inputs of the ksw are not internally summed, you get a db boost by hooking up both.

u may as well hook up both line Inputs (R & L/lfe) usually done w/ a rca Y adapter cable.