need help with odd sounds!

spyder

hi, I have a full set of klipsch reference series speakers and a denon 3801 and recently have been experiencing some oddness in the sound while watchning movies. Its a little hard to explain exactly what it odd but i will try. It seems like the voices and high's...or things that should be going through the center channel dont have the quality or "highness" that they should. everything seems drounded out as if being heard in a hall. every once in a while you might even hear some kind of echo from the voices. the best way i can describe it is a muffled sound missing the high's.. first i thought it was something wrong with the speakers.. i checked all the connections and everything seems fine.. now the reason i'm not 100% sure if it is the speakers is because of this... i played around with pretty much all the settings on the reciever. when i switch the reciever to output "matrix" as the surround mode, things sound perfect..no distortion or muffleness..however, with the setting in matrix mode, the voices get shared between the other speakers..not just the center channel.. the oddness comes when i hit the dolby/dts surround button. i'm pretty sure, and i could be wrong, but having the reciever set to matrix is not utalizing all my speakers and the 5.1 distinct channels..correct? the thing is, this was never a problem.. i have always used the dolby/dts surround mode while watching movies and never noticed what is happeneing now.. do you think that maybe something is wrong with the center speaker? or could this be a reciever issue..any help would be appreciated.. thanks.

-Rich

Try checking the Cinema EQ setting on your Denon. You may have it set to -10db (if memory serves me right) which causes it to tone down the center channel. Try switching it to the opposite of whatever it is now and see if that makes a difference. And I believe it only comes into play in DD/DTS mode, which would make sense given the symptoms you describe.

Doug

also, if you'd like to test for sure if your speaker is working or not...swap your center channel with one of your mains or any other speaker that would be easy...if the speaker works when you connect it in another spot, then you gotta work the settings of your reciever (i too believe you've got a reciever issue)

well...thanks for all the info. i ended up swapping the speakers all around and found out it was a speaker issue oddly enough.. for some reason my center channel is just not producing the "highs". It really was a pain checking as I constantly questioned myself as to hearing a difference. the biggest difference I heard was when disconnecting all other speakers except the center channel and testing that with different speakers. so i guess my only option is to call klipsch up and hope they will ship me a new one.. just seems so odd that a center channel speaker would just go like that.. its not like it gets too much stress.. oh well. i'm almost ready to call up denon as well and try to get the reciever replaced too just to make sure everything is fine on both ends.. well thanks again for helping.

-Rich

• Klipsch Employees

With Reference speakers you have a BI-Wire input.

Try checking the "jumpers" between the 2 red and 2 black binding post.

Sometimes there can be a bad connection there and cause your problems.

Just disconnect and reconnect to see if it solves it for you.

If not, and you do have a bad HF driver, you should contact your dealer.

They should get you a new one, if the unit is under warranty.

IF not under warranty, the parts dept can sell you just the Diaphragm kit to fix the driver. For all reference BUT the 7's, the cost is about $30.

My first guess is the jumpers...