Vintage Marantz for Fortes-which one?

bobd

I was looking around the web and noticed a lot of vintage Marantz receivers for not too much money. I need information on which ones are more compatible with my Forte's or which ones are just considered to be the best of Marantz. I may sell my Yamaha RX-777 and was thinking

I could use that money to buy a Marantz or H/K430 plus a Musical Fidelity X10-d. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Be Wary of the late 60's/early 70's solid state Marantz. Saul sold out to Sony/Superscope around that time, can't remember exactly when. Maybe they recovered somewhere since then. I don't know for sure. At any rate, certainly not what it was in the first place.

The Marantz tube gear...now that's another story. It's up there with them best of them IMO. (ie: the Marantz 10b tuner was supposedly designed on the theoretical limits of FM transmission).

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mpa.html

marantz was sold to superscope in 1964, saul marantz stayed with the company until 1980, I believe, when it was again sold to Philips of the netherlands. while much of the most famous componentry was produced in the 60's some of the very best was produced in the 70's (the 300DC amp and the 3650 preamp for example, as well as the entirety of the Esotec line). Superscope brought a lot of dollars for R&D and while not all the units produced uder their ownership were class leading, much of the legacy of the "superscope" era at Marantz remains some of the best vintage stuff out there! warm regards, tony

btw: what is your budget? then I could recommend a few reciever models.

since I am leaving for the weekend I wanted to leave you with my input about marantz receivers. these are my favorites (I have not owned them all but have heard most of them at one time or another)...I do not know your price range and really Marantz are kind of expensive right now versus other brands. but, in my opinion, they are worth it! built like tanks.

the 2600 or 2500 (go for more than $1,000 these days)

the 2385 or 2285 (nice but kind of SS sounding versus the older "softer" sounding models).

the 2220, 2230, 2250 or 2270 ("b" models if you can find them) (probably your best best for cost/performance)

the model 18 or 19 (though these often need caps replaced)

for more info visit the marantz unoffical site:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/mindex.html

best of luck, tony