Surrounds

Foxman

My current system consists of RF-7, RC-7 in the front SVS sub and Boston CR-7 rear/surrounds. I will eventually buy a all in one cd/dvd/dvda/sacd player. My question is should I stick with direct bookshelf type speakers to accomidate the music wich is approximately 35% of the use or would you suggest the RS-7. I am not sure how the RS-7 would do for music, I am sure the RS-7 would be great for HT, but I hate to sacrifice anything for music. Eventually I will have a 7.1 system, but for probably the next 4-5 years it will be a 5.1.

Thanks,

Russ

I use the RS-7 in a music-only rig, and I think they are the cat's meow (old-fogey expression). It kind of depends on what you want, though. If you want a natural presentation, with all sources located in front, the RS's will do you proud. If you want to be "surrounded" by the band, then the only way to go would be with another pair of RF7's in the back.

"Russ - Does your receiver support using two different sets of rear speakers -- one set for movies and one for music, like many of the Denon's do? If so, perhaps you could swing both (or one type at a time in an upgrade path), for the best of both worlds?"

I have a Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro and a RMB-1075 power amp. It is currently a 5.1 system that can grow. I really don't have the room in the rear for mulitple sets of speakers that is the main reason I am sticking with 5.1. Down the road I probably could do that.

"do you use your surround for music? I only yse my floorstanding towers and sub for music."

I do occasionaly use the surrounds for music, but if and when I buy a multi use CD,DVD,DVDA,SACD I will use the SACD and DVDA and of course when that finaly happens I will use the surrounds a lot more.