just bought a set of lascalas

audiocrazy1

I use low watt vintage SS (see my signature below). Others use (and recommend) PP tube amplifiers, either vintage H.H. Scott, EICO, Fisher, Marantz, Pilot, etc. And then there are the 3.5 to 5 WPC SET group that swear up and down that Paramours and Moondogs are the bomb with Heritage Series horns.

I have no problem with any of the above choices. Each catagory has their good and bad choices. You can pretty much find any decent amp from all the groups above within your price range (from less than $500 all the way up to $1000 and more...); it's really your preference. If you like SS, you don't need anything over 75 WPC (the classic harman/kardon 430 stereo receiver is only 25 WPC). If you want to move up to vacuum tubes, there are more choices than you can shake a stick at! And tubes really bring out the best in Heritage Series horns (so I'm told).

Others with way more experience in these matters can help you out further.

Good luck with the La Scalas! They are magnificant horns!2.gif

All advice has been great!

I've got modified Moodog 2A3s (just a couple of watts) that sound magnificent. I also have a pair of restored vintage 6V6 push-pull amps that amaze me every time I listen to them! I honestly can't say which I prefer! The 6V6s probably sport around 10 watts, which can make a big difference with speakers as sensitive as La Scalas. They run hotter than heck, but they sound incredible, and are very quiet, as well. That's the other issue: La Scalas are sensitive and efficient enough to bring out the best AND some of the worst of downstream electronics. If you get into some vintage tubes, it might be wise to have someone (We all think very highly of Craig's ability!)check out things like old electrolytic filter capacitors, filament supplies, etc. All of this can be done fairly easily, and replacement parts are not overly expensive. Replacement of old rectifiers is worth considering, as well. I would also suggest having the insulation on wiring checked and replaced as needed.

Either way -- Push-pull or SET -- tubes are hard to beat!

Have fun and congrats on your great speakers!

Erik

right know the amps i have are a carver tfm-35 and a mitsbushi da-a7dc amp. i know the carver would be overkill but has anybody used a carver on the lascalas? and then the mits is 75 a channel,but sounds sooo much smoother then the carver. does any of you have any experence with either of these 2 amps?

scott

Scott, please read this:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=32415&sessionID={5B8FB72D-0E9D-4CAB-9B0E-D5CD442B0738}

For a very short time I used my Carver TFM-35x with my Cornwalls, and I was genuinely very pleased with the results. But since I bought my McIntosh MC250, with only 50WPC, my Cornwalls are so much smoother; dare I say the MC250 makes my horns so much warmer (as closest to a vacuum tube amplifier as I have ever heard with a SS amp). The infamous "harshness" in the mid frequencies associated with the squawker horn has been greatly reduced (but not totally eliminated) with this vintage Mac. Maybe due to its Autoformers, or to the fact that I'm only using 50 clean watts per channel as opposed to the 250WPC with the TFM-35x (which sounded magnificant with my Magnepan MGLR1 planars).

I genuinely think that the majority of all amplifiers out in the market today sound exceptionally fine...though one amp may sound great with brand X loudspeaker, this same amp may sound lousy with brand Y loudspeaker. It's all according to matching up the right amplifier with the right loudspeakers (and having excellent quality sources and cables). Maybe that's why your 75WPC Mitsubishi DA-A7DC sounds so much smoother than your Carver, it's just a better matchup.

It all boils down to what sounds best to your ears. This is not an exact science...it's all up to your ears. LISTEN!

almost any modest powered vintage amp will be a nice match with the la scalas. the keys are a smooth mid and hig end and that the amp be extremely quiet. McIntosh (tube or SS), Pilot, Eico, Scott, Fischer, Dynaco (ST-70s seem to go great with la scalas). everything depends on your budget and listeing tastes. lots of people here can relate their experiences witha wide variety of amp, new and vintage. I love my dynaco amps with my k-horns (which are close cousins to your la scala) and will be changing over to some 2A3 based amps in the very near future (they are under construction as we speak, oh boy!), I used my McIntosh SS Integrated amp with my k-horsn to good result sound-wise but at 100watts they were too damn powerful for the speakers!. let us know more about your budget and tastes. BTW the carver amps should sound pretty good, bob carver had a habit of voicing his amps to sound "tube like" and everyone agrees that tubes and la scalas go together VERY well! regards, tony