rear surrounds on back wall

Doozer

Hello audiophilites. I am having a house built and am planning a 5.1 or possibly 6.1 HT system. my concern is with the rear speaker placement. The room is about 15x15 and the couch will have to be against the rear wall. I will be using Rc-3's. I was planning on placing them about 7 ft from the floor on the back wall. I cannot place them on the sides in this room. will the sound be compromised too much . or will angling them down slightly make up for this. Any insight or opinions would be appreciated. Just thoght Id add that this room has 3 walls, there is no right wall as it opens to the kitchen area.

Regarding Surround Placement,

Keep in mind the angle of the tractrix horn - in other words are the higher frequencies going to "hit" the ears of those sitting in the main veiwing area.

If the couch is against the back wall and you mount the speakers 7 feet high on the back wall, the sound will miss the ear and you will wind up hearing the surround sound after it bounces off of a forward wall. If at all possible, you may want to mount them on the side walls (to either side of the main listening position).

I think the klipsch web site offers placement advice -

1. Number one placement is to the sides of the main listening position 2 - 3 feet above ear level (remember the tractrix horn design allows the sound to hit you ear directly and also allows for non directional ambient sound.

2. On the rear wall at the same elevation as number 1.

3. Due to the design of these speakers, those who have difficulty with either ofnthe above placement, can do a combination.

Hope this adivce helps

I agree with the 7.1 surround wiring for future reference. Especially if you are running it behind sheetrock!

sorry, I just realized a mistale. I will be using the RS-3 surround speakers not the RC-3 speakers. The problem I have is that the house is sort of an open floor plan and the room where the HT system is going only has three walls. There is no wall to the right (when sitting on the couch) just behind, left and front. so I dont have much choice of placement. Has anyone had experience with mounting the RS-3's on the ceiling? pointing down? The idea of mounting the RS-3's vertical and angling in sounds like it may give me more sound dispersion down towards the listening position. another concern will be that the left surround will have a wall for the sound to bounce off of to the left of it, but there is no wall for the right speaker to bounce of of. Does anyone have this type of setup? and if so how does it sound?? This is my first venture into HT so maybe im being to picky, but i just want to make sure it sounds as good as it possibly can. Thanks for the advice.

me again. here is a floorplan of the house(if it uploads and is veiwable) the room in question is the li ing room on the upper left of the house. (in the back of the house) looking down on the picture the couch will be placed on the left side and the entertainment enter across on the wall next to the bedroom door. any suggestions on a rear center speaker? should another RS-3 beused to match the surrounds? thanks again.

post-11570-13819246753044_thumb.gif

At my last house I had a very similar architectural setup. I had my Rs3's on the ceiling approximatly the same width apart as my mains, mounted with their backs up against the ceiling and located slightly behind my seating area. I had no problem with this arraingment sonically. Please note that the RS3s seemed to lose some of their difuse nature and become more directional in this arraingmnet. That was not necessaily a bad thing. 1.gif

Jerry Rappaport