Question for Leok on the P6D

NOSValves

Leok,

I have Audioflynn's P6D hear and so far I am totally impressed. I have a question. With respect to the High out light how much should this light be on your instructions say it does not indicate clipping and that the amp will shut down if pushed to hard. You know me I'm a volume freak and I don't want to harm the amp .

Craig

The "High Out" indicates something like 2.5WRMS. When I drive RF-7s it almost never turns on. With Fortes it sometimes turns on and with RB-5s it is usually blinking. It's not a "warning" light, just an indicator. The amp can be used with that light on most of the time.

Clipping sets in at +/- 11V peaks or 15W peak or 7.4WRMS. You'll know when it clips and the biggest risk is to your tweeter.

The Tripath circuit has current and thermal protection. It may be possible to damage the chip via thermal shock: a real fast blast of power so that heat damage takes place befor the thermal circuit shuts everything down. I've never blown a TA1101B and don't know anyone who has. I did blow an earlier, prototype rev of the chip, but Tripath had warned me that damage might occur with that revision. If thermal shutdown does occur, remove power, let the amp cool for a minute or so and re-power .. at a slightly reduced power setting.

Glad you like it. Interesting technology, no?

leok

I thought it would be nice for Craig to use the Tripath P6D PWM amp for a few weeks since he gets many vintage amps through the NOS Valves Lab. He could give a good review of the technology. I listened to the Scott preamp combined with the P6D. I remain impressed.

One striking part of the NOS lab is the MMF-7 turntable.

Craig has some nice vinyl. The LaScalas with the MMF-7(and stock Goldgring cartridge) gives an amp little room to hide.

He makes sure the amps "sound right" with demanding source material; as well as tests out OK.

I will post a "Visit to NOS Lab" thread as time allows.