Looking for Cornwall Plans

PHIL O

No. Start off with sheets of lumber core "plywood", 3/4" thick, in whatever veneer you choose (oak, walnut, zebrawood, teak, etc.). This is the material that was used in the factory for all Cornwalls (not the II's), except for the raw birch models, which were a 9-ply veneer-core. You can't get lumber core at most "home improvement" stores (like HD, Lowes), you must go to a lumber yard that caters to cabinetmakers. Duplicating the raw birch models would be much easier, as only square butt joints are involved. With the other veneers, you'd be mitering the box (at least the sides to the top). Kinda depends on your skill level, I guess.

fini

Having recently been inside my Birch CWs I realize that the only critical parameters are the port cross sectional area and length (length of shelf) and the overall inside net volume. Other than that and accomodating the components, you could customize. Theoretically one could build something very similar to the Cornwall with other woofers, horns, and tweeters, as long as you take the woofer T/S parameters into consideration when determining the net inside volume and port dimensions. This is essentially what I did with my now finished custom Altec cabinets with the help of mdeneen and a software progam he used for making these determinations. I bellieve those software programs offer several possibilities, so you study the graphs and determine what resonant frequency and roll-off has the best characteristics .

What is the resonant frequency of the the Cornwall cabinet which is essentially a bass reflex design? This has probably been mentioned many times, but I forgot.

I am anxious to get my newly damped CWs hooked up to see what differences I notice. Mostly I damped the woofers after the example of Dean who posted pics of his mod. The idea made so much sense.

C&S

• 4 years later...