How does this sound for my new PC..

Gondor

Abit KT7-RAID w/ 1.2 GHz TBird

2 Western Digital 30 gig ATA 100 7200 RPM HDs (will be set at RAID 0)

Hercules Prophet II GTS (Geforce2 64meg gts)

----(transferred from old system)

Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer (4 channel ver not 5.1)

----(Transferred from old system)

TDK 12/10/32 Velocd burner (mmmm)

Sony Trinitron 17" (dont have room on my dorm desk for anything bigger)

Philips 5x DVD Drive(will get new DVD drive eventually)

----(xfered from old sys)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card (btw I own a few linksys products and I have never had a problem with them)

256 meg of PC133 PNY RAM (xfered from old sys)

LT WinModem (for when I am not on campus)

probably forgetting something here but tell me what you think

quote:

Originally posted by Gondor:

Abit KT7-RAID w/ 1.2 GHz TBird

Wait for DDR support to fully come out - also for DDR RAM to drop in price

I always like a seperate HD for backup and otherstuff (my clutter drive - I have everything I need to bring my system back to working order)

I am still debating RAID for my system also - depends hoe much I can do it for (not sure what DDR mobos will have it on board and Promise RAID cards have a hefty price tag and converting an ATA100 card to RAID is a lot more work than adding on little resister

Hercules Prophet II GTS (Geforce2 64meg gts)

----(transferred from old system)

Soundblaster Live! X-Gamer (4 channel ver not 5.1)

----(Transferred from old system)

TDK 12/10/32 Velocd burner (mmmm)

Take a look at Plextors (heard they were good) I like my Sony but might get a Plextor - something with a large buffer (I think they all have large ones at those speeds)

Sony Trinitron 17" (dont have room on my dorm desk for anything bigger)

I have a Sony Triny 17" also and if ya can put your desk kittycorner, makes for more space for my upcomming 19" or 21" - there's always room for more.

Philips 5x DVD Drive(will get new DVD drive eventually)

3Com 10/100 Ethernet Card (btw I own a few linksys products and I have never had a problem with them)

Can't say much here.. most cards will work - I went to use a cheap $20 in my Dell and it screwed my system up, had to reformat, was pissed, bought an $80 Intep Pro Management +)

256 meg of PC133 PNY RAM (xfered from old sys)

You will need DDR RAM if you get a DDR system (as stated for the mobo above) - pretty expensive at the moment tho (Crucial is selling PC1600 DDR RAM at PC133 cost but do not have PC2100 RAM yet - wait to get PC2100)

LT WinModem (for when I am not on campus)

probably forgetting something here but tell me what you think

Let's see..

Case: I don't know.. I'm still looking for a good one that I like.

Other than the typical keyboard/mouse etc. (includes Klipsch Pormedia) looks like it is complete.

Ah yes, case

Full Tower big black case with Antec AMD approved power supply... (CompUSA special) (82mm front case fan, 3 40mm and a 20 mm rear case fan)

Klipsch Pros of course

I just bought the TDK burner cause all of the magazines I have read say its the best...

I dont wanna wait till DDR becomes more widely available, my mother is willing to buy this for me now for my birthday smile.gif

standard 101/102 key keyboard (black)

Microsoft IntelliEye Explorer for mouse

Just got the monitor 4 months ago and 17" is fine for me

My opinion is if you wait, you will never do it, cause your thinking will always be, well if I wait 2 weeks longer I could get this, or if I wait 1 month longer I could get this, if you are gonna do it, go for it, you may feel like you are missing something good, but remember you will probably pay less for what you get rather than waiting for the new thing and paying its premium price

True.. I been thinking about that and might go for the KT133A chipset.. I saw that there was not much difference between that and DDR (DDR is so new..) and if I get a 133 TBird 1.2GHz, I can transfer it to a DDR Mobo if I upgrade when the performance difference is greater (If it gets greater)

However, I like the Idea that DDR is faster with 3D modeling programs like 3DMax and other Graphics Programs.. It's a tossup right now- need to do more thinking..

Thanks for you input

you might want to take a look at the KT133A chipset too.. http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q1/010104/index.htmlBut http://www.hardocp.com/articles/chipset/ktsvsddr/

DDR isn't looking too hot at the moment.. might take your advice. http://www.gamersdepot.com/hardware/motherboards/iwill/ka266-r/001.htm

I would probably get the KT133A if I could find it(save a lot of money on RAM) but not sure waht I'm gonna do.

Just found this.. I knew it was comin out but not this soon www.Gamersdepot.com

TDK Kicks off Multilevel Recording: 01/08/2001 - Duane

At CES this week, TDK has announced plans to start implementing multilevel recording into upcoming CDR-W drives. With this technology they claim that they can achieve threefold the current capacity of current CDR-W drives. TDK speculates that end users will be able to store 2GB (gigabytes) of data and record that data at a rate of 36x.

Micron Offers DDR to End Users: 01/05/2001 - Duane

In an effort to help get DDR memory technology into the hands of consumers, Micron Technology and Crucial Memory have announced that they will start selling PC1600 DDR memory modules directly to consumers for the same price as PC133. This move should also help stifle Rambus and their RDRAM propaganda.

If only they had 2100 RAM wink.gif

Nothing but bad news there. Go with some Maxtors or IBM drives.c>

TDK 12/10/32 Velocd burner

Paragon, the TDK is a Plextor. Just dresses up in TDK.c>

Just my 2¢.c> smile.gif

------------------

Hofy's Duct Tape Mounting System Support

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

I read on the Highpoint (the ATA100 Raid controller) website that there were some problems with some of the Maxtor drives in running RAID 0 cause of timing issues, maxtor even verified... I know its on just some of their drives, but they had no problems with any of the WD drives they tested, and I have never had any problems with WD drives either... What I heard the problems were is that there are too many non functioning units that get to stores, but that ones that do work, work well

I also got these on sale with free DVDs and stuff, so if there is a problems, I'll take them back or something.

I am running a pair of Maxtor 20GB ATA100 7200 rpm mirrored. I must have gotten lucky. biggrin.gif

As for the Western Digital I am just going by experiance. Last year I installed 45 WD drives and 15 where bad or went bad soon after they went in. I installed over 200 Maxtors and only had 3 bad drives.c>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

quote:

Originally posted by Hofy:

Nothing but bad news there. Go with some Maxtors or IBM drives.
c>

TDK 12/10/32 Velocd burner

Paragon, the TDK is a Plextor. Just dresses up in TDK.
c>

Just my 2¢.
c>
smile.gif

Ah... TDK=Plextor.. groovy

I have 2 Maxtor drives at the moment (both ATA66 but not RAID) and have had no problems with them. Had an IBM in this computer (traded for ATA66 Maxtor) and my brother had IBM in his comp with no problems at the moment (Dell likes to use IBM HDs)

Actually the thing about Western Digital HDs and last year was they recalled a whole load of them cause they were going bad in their tests. They said that its fine now

I worked at OfficeMax and we got a post about it and had to send back all our stock and stuff

I just got back a 2.5 GB WD they replaced. It lasted all of 17 days. It was a new drive from Oct 2000. I wash my hands of WD. If any of our customers still insist on a WD drive they will still get it but no warranty from us.

Granted any manufacturer will produce bad stuff, but WD does it over and over again.

c>

------------------

hofmonstr@rocketmail.com

c>

I am NOT

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

888-554-5665c>

Well, I have never had any problems with them, in fact my secondary PC is running a 20 gig one (that has lasted long enough to go from my primary pc to my secondary one) its probably nearly a year and a half old.

I hope they havent gotten worst, or that I snagged some good ones smile.gif

I do see how you dont like them though.