All I have is my pair of Kg4s . . . now what?

Arsenal

Currently have Dolby nothing and wondering . . . confused.gif

Any suggestions on what to get with my pair of kg4 speakers? I see where Klipsch recommends the SC-1 and SS-1 but isn't the RC-3 and RS-3 bigger and badder or just a bad match?

Any suggestions for the receiver?

As I said . . . all I have is the pair of kg4 speakers and looking to bring them back to life!

I did a search and I think it was one of your posts about the volume level needs to be the same all around your HT system.

I guess that is why Klipsch went with the suggestion of s series over the R series for the HT system? Should I trash the kg4s (give to brother) for a better left and right speaker?

As for the receiver match up with the kg4 HT system, I didn't see any suggestions.

Also, if you know the specs for the kg4, please post them.

thanks for the reply,

Jeff

Jeff - I think the board was "pruned" recently, so some of the great info is gone...

I think the KG4s are GREAT speakers. I built a HT around them using a mix of discontinued and new speakers. I used a KV-3 center channel (no longer made, found used) and SS-1 surrounds. However, if you have the budget, some people find it easier to start from scratch with a complete set of matching speakers, all from the same family. If that's the case, then your budget will steer you to either the Synergy or the Reference series. Remember, whatever you buy may be with you for a while, so if you can stretch a bit now, do it (but I don't suggest going into debt over it smile.gif).

The reason for having matched speakers is for both tonality (voicing) and volume. You want speakers across the front that sound alike and are about the same efficiency. If you have too strong a center, it will overpower the fronts and create balance problems. Ideally, the best center for KG4s is another KG4 (can you fit one in there?). Others have used SC-1, KV-2, KV-3, and Academy for centers and liked them.

KG4 Specs:

Freq Resp: 38Hz - 20kHz

Sensitivity: 94db

Power Handling: 100w RMS / 500w peak

Impedance: 6 ohms (some earlier models were 4 ohms)

Weight: 40lbs

MSRP: $620-$670

Receiver suggestions: Give us a budget!

Doug

Budget,

Well, the budget is a little stock that is hopefully coming back up this year. But right now I would say it is worth about $2000. With any luck, it will go to 2500 by the end of the year so, if it is worth waiting for . . . I will.

As for another kg4 . . . that would prove to be little difficult. I do have the space but how could it be done visually. Like, lay one down on its side on top or bottom of the TV? I do have an old entertainment system. It doesn't have a space for any center channel so, no matter which one I get(SC-1, Kg4, ...), it will look little strange.

So, any ways, I will get a new entertainment AFTER all the pieces are in place.

L8r,

Jeff

Well, for $2000 you have quite a variety of receivers to choose from. I'm afraid I'm not able to give many suggestions in that area. The only one I am familiar with is the Denon 3801, and you can probably have that for around $1000. It's pretty much a 5800 in sheep's clothing.

I know that Yamaha/HK and some others have good entries in that price range.

Ideally (there's that word again), the KG4 center would be oriented on its head (not on its side), so that the tweeter would be closer to the tweeters on the other KG4s.

Doug

Thanks again for the posts Doug & mpgwagon,

I see that the Denon 3801 is a 6.1 system. So, bear with me but, doesn't that mean that I will need to get 4 surrounds to produce the rear and mid-way speaker sound? Or is there 3 rears behind the couch?

As for the summary, is this close?

prefer kg4 for center

next KV-3

next KV-2

next KV-1

next SC-1

prefer for surrounds

next SS-1

next

as for the receiver

Denon 3801 or Technics SA-DX1040

(I do have a friend that is also suggesting a Denon receiver)

but not sure about these for placement

Klipsch SF1 and Klipsch KSW 12

L8r,

Jeff

Jeff - 6.1 means that there is either a discrete or derived rear center channel. It can be played through either one or two rear center speakers. I believe the Denon allows you to use either 1 or 2 rear centers. However, keep in mind, that you don't HAVE to play back in 6.1 mode. You can still force it to 5.1 until you get the rear center speakers. And I believe the consensus is that front center/direct radiating speakers make good rear center speakers as well (versus a WDST design like the SS-1).

Doug

Well, I took my kg4 into a local store and compared the Sc-1 and the Rc-1 and there rear counter parts. I don't know if the sales man was selling the R series but they matched up with the kg4 flawlessly. So, why would klipsch.com recommend the S center and surrounds but in the store with my kg4's it sounded better with the R center and surrounds. Nothing changed but the speakers themselves.