Picked up the KG-4's today

whell

Upon initial inspection at 8:00 AM this morning, they looked pretty good. Got then home and hooked them up, and cranked the volume a bit to see what shape they are in.....and the seal on the board on the back of the cabinet gave way on one of the speakers! Upon closer inspection I noticed two nails at the bottom of the board, one in each corner. Looks like this was an old problem, and may have lead the owner to sell them in the first place.

Don't think this is a big deterent, and I'm assuming that I can glue and screw the board back into place and get a tight seal.

However, I also noticed upon very close inspection that the seal around the passive radiator (sealing the edge of teh radiator to the gasket) also seems to be coming loose. Again, I'm assumong that this wouuld not be a difficult fix with some decent sealant.

Just wanted to check with you all to see if you'd go about making these repairs any differently than I've described above. Thanks for any thoughts.

Whell, so you got these locally also? Are they in your HT system? I was entertaining thoughts of trying the multi channel thing, but my room shape won't allow that. Besides, I like the idea of a second system in the bedroom (good for extra noise, or for getting away from home noise too!). There is also the different room acoustics aspect to enjoy.

We've got a 2nd system in the basement, where we have an area set aside for working out, and for entertaining. Thats where the KG-4's ended up, and replaced a pair of Infinity Studio Monitors that akways seemed overly bright to me. The basement system is 2 channel.

So far, so good. Used Elmer's wood glue to reseal the cabinet, and used wood screws at each corner to assure a more permanent closure.

Used plain old bathroom adhesive caulk around the edges of the passive radiator. It seems to be holding nicely.

Well, I've had a few days to listen to these after my less-than-professional grade repair job. I have to say they sound pretty damn good for a 20 ear old set of speakers. I've listened to everything from Oscar Peterson and Wes Montgomery to Eric Clapton, Natalie Cole and Alison Krause, and they seem to handle it all quite well. I also took in the Michigan State win over Maryland (Go Spartans!!), and Dick Enberg never sounded so good.

There's alot to like about these little KG-4's. I'm not ready to sell my RF-3's yet, but I can see why these speakers have a few fans in this forum.