recently posted: 25-vs-75 , still in need of desperate input, Dean, Lynn anyone?

See my prior post earlier this aft. please, then tell me if I do go with the AMC int. amp am I wasting money by paying for the phono amp which I don't plan to use anytime soon. Perhaps I'd be better off with a NAD. The AMC would match my intended CD-8. I've read that the AMC3025a sounds very tube like, on several reviews on audioreview.com. Would this little amp really sound as good as an HK-3375 75 watt 2-channel reciever from CC. Any input would be greatly valued and appreciated.

ty, Jim in AL

Previous almost high end system:

Yamaha RX-770, Paradigm mon. 9, and marantz cd-6000se...

Hiend,

Though SS is not popular on this form. I use a Creek Integrated Amp and really like it. Cambridge Audio has an nice int amp with out a phono plug that you can purchase new from dealers for about 300.oo. It uses the Creek componets and is highly rated.... just MHO..

I researched Creek, Cambridge, NAD and Rega before deciding on vintage tubes.

They all are very sound brands to explore.

Look at the graphs of distortion vs watts output.

See who has the lowest distortion in the 0.1-5 watt range

This is where Klipsch 2 channel speakers reside and most SS strugggles to perform.

I researched Creek, Cambridge, NAD and Rega before deciding on vintage tubes.

They all are very sound brands to explore.

Look at the graphs of distortion vs watts output.

See who has the lowest distortion in the 0.1-5 watt range

This is where Klipsch 2 channel speakers reside and most SS strugggles to perform.

Yep, solid state amp distortion specs are taken "with both channels driven at rated output".

The 'dirty' little secret is that solid state is cleaner when opened up. The distortion is higher at lower power.

Tubes, OTOH -- are cleaner down low, and even when overdriven -- clip so gracefully the distortion at the higher levels is quite tolerable.

I use RB5s with tube and a custom 8 Watt pulse-width-modulation amps. My choice of amp is driven by the need for low distortion in the sub-Watt power region.

Do your homework. Get the amp that gives you lowest distortion in this region. As for total power, I doubt you'll ever want over 10 Watts with the RB-5.

Treat them right and the RB-5s are a sweet and powerful speaker.

leok

Thankx to everyone who has responded. I'm leaning towards the Cambridge Audio a300 now. I'ts entry level in my range, has very low distortion at 1 watt and sounds wonderful. I'm even going to go with their new 300se cd player to match. Some cable and some wires my next quest and I should be coming close to hi-end even if i'm not in tubes.