Which line conditioner PANAMAX or MONSTER

Joe Di Clemente

Joe-

Either will probably do fine. The deciding factor will probably be price. My opinion of Monster is that they are WAY over priced. However, having said that, I do have a Monster HTS-5000 MkII. I was going to get a Panamax 5300, but I found an Authorized Monster Dealer that was selling new HTS-5000 MkII FAR below the MSRP. I believe that they had mislabeled the price on their website for one of the lower models, since I found a second entry for the HTS-5000 at MSRP. Needless to say, I jumped on the chance to buy it at the cheap price before they caught the error. I have had the unit 5 months or so, and I'm very happy with it. It removed most of the ground loop hum caused by my Cable TV, quieted down the hiss a bit from the tweeters with its filters, but mostly it has made turning on the power to my whole system a BREEZE! Plus, I get some surge protection to boot. IF i lived in the midwest were lightning storms tend to kill electronics on a VERY regular basis, I would look at other companies that don't use MOV technology as the surge protection device.

-Dave

I agree with DrPyro. I bought a Monster Power HTS 2500MkII, which lists, I think, for $299, for $170 including shipping. I found the dealer (CellPhones4Cheap.com) via auctions on eBay and made him an off-line offer. Honestly, I don't know if the dealer from whom I bought is authorized, but the price was such, and my expectation of problems was such, that I took the cheap price. I have read all the claims about decreased noise, and Monster has a test kit to demonstrate noise reduction, but I don't know from my own experience that these things work as advertised (which is partly why I bought a low-priced model)--this may generate a "my-cables-are-better-than-your-cables debate. However, surge protection is a must, and the box is "way cool" in the rack, so I'm happy with my purchase. One interesting difference between the Monster and the Panamax is weight--the PM, if I recall correctly, weighs at least twice the MP--?

Another one to look at is the Adcom series. I have been running the ACE-515 for about 12 years, & am very happy with it. I actually watched it save my equipment one day when we had a surge come through my area. We lost 2 TV's, a VCR, & 3 light bulbs one day when PG&E had a switch-over problem ( the house got REALLY bright for about 4 seconds). The ACE actually shut down, & everything connected to it was fine.

http://www.adcom.com/surgesupressors.htm

I have a Monster 5000 and, no, I can't tell any difference in how my system performs. I hadn't been in the equipment buying arena for a long time and, unlike the wiser posters above, I probably way over paid for mine. It offers some flexability over a standard surge protector, but, in my opinion, is not worth the money it costs, that is, unless you can find a deal. Now, luckily, I'm a seasoned, very proficient, deal hound.

Don't want to be off color or considered a spammer but...

Our company sells "power conditioners" that filter power and remove neutral to ground voltage the biggest culprit to PC and digital electronics logic performance. In addtition to "filtering" some models provide an artificial, so to speak, ground reference to prevent difference of potential for ground. However, these units do not "stablize" power like say the Richard Grey products but are very cost affective.

Just give me the amp load and I can give you a price.

Regards,

Mike