Second KSW 12?

BMW Driver

Ok, thinking about getting a second KSW 12 for my home theater. The usage of my system consists of 80% movies and 20% music. I have a 5.1 configuration (with aspirations of moving the RB's to the back when I can get a pair of RF3's for front mains for a 7.1 system) and have a 15' by 17' room.

Would this be a good investment? Should I just consider getting a RSW series sub. Then again there is always SVS? I think my KSW12 is OK (for the $250 I paid for it brand new) and like it's relatively flat frequency response. I'm just lokoing for more Oomph.

Thanks!

Shaun

A second KSW will give you more output but it will still have no real output below 30hz. I would sell your current KSW12 and add that with the money you were going to spend on the other KSW12. You'll now be in a territory of single subs that can equal or give more output than dual KSW-12's and play below 30hz with authority.

Something like the SVS Pci series comes to mind.

what are your listening prefferences? mostly music or movies? if movies, instead of a sunfire I'd get an SVS. at the price of a sunfire signature, you can get one SVS CS Ultra with an amp, which will perform incredibly for movies. if you listen to music more, I'd go with an RSW series subwoofer. I have the RSW-15 and they are fast, accurat, and have a nice, clean "punchy" sound to them that adds a nice kick to music. the RSW-15 can be had for about 1,249.

A SunFire Signature has around the same power as a SVS CS Ultra. My SunFire reg. 118db output at 30hz and even still at 20hz, it was still doing well in the 105-107db area..which is still pounding. For most people, SunFire Sig. has good output down to around 18hz.

However you might find the SVS Ultra cheaper, both perform extremely well. If your married/or live with a Girlfriend, they will like the SunFire since it so small.

If your into music, yes I too would recommend the RSW-12 or RSW-15.

Yeah, the main reason I was considering the Sunfire was it's size. I think my wife would relly hate the looks of the SVS subs. Then again, if it's going in my dedicated HT room, I guess she shouldn't mind.

I think I am leaning towards the reference subs though. I know I would like the Sunfire, but I think the price is too high for me. I would like to compare the SVS and the RSW with each other personally before making a final decision, but I don't think anyone in central Ohio sells SVS.

I think I will like the RSW for it's prowess with music. Even though I watch movies the majority of the time, the music reproduction in movies and when I listen to SACD/CD sources is more important to me than hearing those awesome explosions at 120db in action flicks.

Shaun

Ah a fellow central ohio member...cool. Anyhoo depending on your needs, the RSW-15 is a loud high octave bass hitter...meaning the thing has incredible volume, and punch/kick in the 40-80hz area, the sub is heaven for music. However it is also pretty good for movies with good volume down to 25hz. (That is if your going after the 15" version, the RSW-12 may work well too)