Can I get surround with 4.1's?

JasinC19

I was wondering if there's a way I could get the surround effect using the 4.1's. For instance in Gladiator, when he throws the sword and kills the guy on the horse, my friend's digital setup makes the sword come from the back speakers to the front. Pretty cool. I don't have a digital sound card, but I have an old Creative dxr2 decoder card that supports 5.1. (I think) Is there some way I can rig it to give me the surround effect on DVD's and other things? Thanks

Jason

The problem is your dxr2 does not do 4 speaker downmixing. It can only do 5.1 when connected to an external decoder. So to get 4 channel surround sound you need to either get an external dd decoder such as the midiland ads2000, or get rid of the dxr2 altogether and use a software dvd decoder, if your machine is fast enough.

I don't know if the new 5.1 soundblasters would be able to help you - they do dd decoding to 4 speakers, but I don't know it they work with the dxr2.

------------------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

So what is your setup? Just the 4.1's and sb live? Will surround work even if it's Value? I watched The Haunting on DVD and different sounds came from the back than from the front. I used PowerDVD and under audio i checked the digital 5.1 decoding option

I don't know, it let me check it, so I did. I did notice a difference too. The voices were all in the front and some sounds came from the left while others only from the right. Still wasn't that great though. Is it possible that there was some software decoding going on?

Jason

hey i need some help with surround!! i have sb live xgamer with the pros, cant seem to get surround, do i have to attach the digital and audio cables from the dvd into my sound card? i only have the cables from my regular cd rom attached, not the dvd. i have the old creative dvd as well but i dont have the dxr2 card installed because i use my matrox g400's dvd player cuz the video adapter has dvd. theres no surround =<[bR>let me know if u can help. thanks