rega or japanese cd player with tubes?

mopar dave

just purchased a tube amp off ebay, should be here this friday. i'm looking for a cd player for two channel. the yamaha dvd is great for home theater, but not two channel. i would like to know if i should look for a rega or one of the other brands of cd players denon,sony,yamaha etc? do you think the rega would be too smooth and laid back with tubes? speakers are cornwalls. dave

what preamp are you going to be using?

i use a rega planet 2000, tubes and cornwalls and it is not too smooth. sounds very good. darn good.

this weekend i was listening to alittle of everything (pinetop perkins, stevie ray, johnny hodges,john coltrane, etc) and my system sounded very good indeed.

danny

I just added the Philips dvd963SA. It does a very good job with CD and features SACD. The upsampled CD sound really adds life to that format. SACD is so clean, at first I thought something was wrong. I finally realized what was wrong was absence of medium. SACDs just don't sound like recordings.

leok

dave,

i can't answer that.

i have never heard sacd before.

go listen to the sony and if you like it go with it and don't look back.

just enjoy want you have and don't worry about what you may or may not be missing.

this is suppose to be fun and its starting to turn into a job.

sorry i cant give you a better answer.

danny

I have not heard SACD either--but am anxious to. I am currently using an origninal Rega Planet with tube gear (Jolida) and like it very much with my Forte IIs. I bought the Rega used on eBay for $370. Although my player appears mint you can probably get a better deal if you shop around some.

Concern I would have is on the limited availability and high cost of SACDs themselves. Economics may dictate going Rega now and upgrading in a couple years when prices fall.

MM

kev313,

A good thing. It's a bit like hearing something, for the first time, in a quiet hall. You can hear more. Also, high freq. artifacts are way down, and that's different, unless you're used to very high quality records, tt, cart., preamp, etc.

leok

Sometimes it's just better to take things on their own merit instead of trying to draw comparisons. I have a couple of SACD's that sound horrid, and one instance where the Redbook version actually sounds better. With many of the reissues, it's very difficult to discern whether it's the SACD format making the difference, or the fact that they remixed (which they do).

At any rate, I have heard SACD compared to vinyl -- which is doesn't really sound like at all. It sounds like Redbook without the 'filmy' quality in the treble, and things in the music sound more isolated - instead of sounding homogenized.

If it wasn't for the 9000's strong Redbook performance, I probably would not have bought it. I certainly didn't buy based soley on SACD performance (which is stellar), for there is very little out there for a Rock-n-Roller like me. Still, for the budget minded, it's hard to pass up some of the new combo players -- which have come a long way in delivering satisfying results.