New 2003 Khorns (cont'd.)

DTLongo

Thank you Al Klappenberger for posting the pic of the Khorn crossover. Wow.

Attached is the "amusing pic" I mentioned in the earlier string. For some reason it didn't post there. It shows my new Khorns arriving in their crates on the dealer's truck. Big crates, tall in the breeze. I'm glad they didn't fall off! Or that that truck wasn't hijacked (grin).

As I've gotten more familiar with these speakers I am impressed by their ability to whisper as well as roar. Yeah, that's a cliche, but true. They are the clearest and best IMAGING speakers I have ever heard. On a good symphonic recording, for instance, you sense that you are hearing an ensemble of individual violins rather than a undifferentiated violin sound. The orchestra "inner voices" come through with a - to me - unprecedented clarity. And for a three minute demo, try the "Star Spangled Banner" on the Keith Lockhart Boston Pops "Splash" CD. That large chorale vocal accompanied by the oprchestra starts off very softly...but just wait.

post-10590-13819246968182_thumb.jpg

(continued) The Khorns don't get much below 35 hz as compared with my home theater Velodyne 1500 servo sub which goes way down, nor are they designed to. But the Klipschorns have so much sonic energy in the 30-50 hz range that one doesn't miss the bottom half-octave. I am using the Khorns in a straight stereo separate music room. They'd be overkill in a home theater, I think, where the picture would draw attention away from the sound.

One of you mentioned WAMM $100,000 loudspeakers. I vaguely recall reading about those years ago in Stereophile but I don't remember any details. Just for curiosity, what are they?

What a crazy pack job, I would have flipped if they came stacked like that when they delivered them. Obviously they did not study too much geometry in school. I would have certainly got a bigger truck. At least they arrived safely! Thank goodness.