Denon 3803

QTklipsch

What does the protector circuit do? I'm just wondering, on my last post I said I brought the receiver upto -5 but I most likely won't do that again. I'm guessing that the circuit protects the receiver from heat and from outputing more watts than it can handle, I could be wrong.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

• Like 1

I have an AVR 3802 (the immediate predecessor to the AVR3803). The protector circuit is exactly as you described - to protect the reciever from heat and output more watts than it can handle. If the unit is turned up to overdriven or the heat build-up gets too great, the unit will shut itself down. You'll have to unplug it, let it cool for a little while and then plug it back in.

It happened to me once - it was a ridiculously hot day way earlier than it should be (don't know why I did not turn on the air conditioning - I guess I felt it was to early in the season to need the air conditioning), and I had it playing pretty loud (only about -15 or so). It suddenly shut itself down. I re-arranged the unit to give it more space and it had not happened since than.

They are 8ohm Rf7s, rc7.... I haven't had it shut off yet but I was wondering if my speakers where trying to get more power than it can handle, but I see that most likely won't happen. But wow is -5 loud. 2.gif I'll never go that loud to often, was just wonder how loud before my family gets pissed. My ears are still ringing. 5.gif And the receiver is in a spot where it should never over heat.

• Like 1