Vibrapods under my old Cornwalls?

Proko03

If by "molly toes" you mean those cones with sharp points that are used to "mass load" the speaker to the floor, Yes, I use them on my Belle center speaker. My "toes" are long enough that the riser on the bottom of the cabinet doesn't interfere. The toes will poke thru the carpet & padding. The holes are too small to be noticable should you remove the cones, & the carpet pile will cover it up.

I think mass loading is a good idea, and from a physics point of view, its one of those things that actually makes sense & works.

However, I would not raise the Cornwalls too far off the floor. They were designed to take advantage of room boundaries. Raising the cabinet too far off the floor will acoustically decouple the cabinet from the floor boundary, most likely resulting in reduced low frequency output.

yes and vibrapods will do exactly the opposite of the toes or points, they will decouple, isolate the speakers cab form the floor. besides the vibrapods woul be flattened after a few months under that weight. think cones if you must but I suspect you should leave the corns on the floor...tony

Check out the Mapleshade website, they have a lot of opinions on cones, cone material, size, effectiveness, what all. Also check out the Audio Advisor website for a large selection of other types of cones, points, cups, widgets, whickets and whackets.

Point of interest - I tried putting my La Scalas up on points (Larger TipToes) just out of curiousity. I have - uh, had... :( - a tile on concrete floor. On that floor, in that room, putting the La Scalas up on the points really messed up the sound. Bass went all loosey goosey flubby dubby. I have no idea why.

Ray