Blown woofer

harleyd

Just got the new system together and wanted to use the RB-5's for surrounds. I got crazy listening to some old Doobies (lots of bass), and cooked a woofer in one RB-5. Got a replacement, but why did it go.... (This is new, only month old)..... Why didn't both go......

The way i understand it would be even though many stereo recordings have an almost mono bass signal, they all have a slight variation in each channel. One may have had a greater signal....

There is also the fact that not all woofers are made equal. I know that sounds bad, but there are many construction factors which will dictate the variations from one woofer to another. Klipsch (as well as other speaker manufacturers) will allow certain tolerances for each component which can easily explain the failure of only one woofer even if it were an identical signal as you probably pushed "just" over it's max and turned it down after you fried it... 9.gif

Glad you got the situation remedied...

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same thing happen to me with my RF-3 II. I had a woffer start to "skweek" during a hum bass note. i say skweek because when i had the sound off, i would puss in the woofer a lil, and it produced a skweeking soung. Same thing too, one month old, and I was pissed. I had it replaced by calling the parts dept. i switched it out myself.