Poor record play

whell

----------------

On 4/15/2003 7:13:20 PM middlecreekguy wrote:

Wheat pennies could produce a grainy sound.
1.gif

----------------

I was going to share a website confirming this, but I'm tired of linkin'.

fini

None of my other records do this, correct. However, I've found that if I take this same record off my Dual 504, and drop it onto an old Sanyo that I have, which is a lousy TT compared to the Dual (which, really, isn't the cats a** either, unfortunately), the record tracks just fine on the Sanyo.

So....I'm inclined to think that this "Grado Dance" thing that I found hard to beleive at first is, in fact, proving to be the possible problem after all.

No, there are no specific loud passages on this disc where the problem worsens. However, I've found that after experimenting with adding weight to the tonearm, I can get the Grado to track correctly on one part of the disc, but the problem gets worse on another part of the disc. Strange!!

So is this problem due to some inherent side-to-side flexibility of the Grado styli, or what? Why does it appear with some tonearms, and not others? Does it have to do with the bearings (or whatever...damping?) at the pivot point of the arm? Is the Grado generally thought to be a good match for a massive, or not-so-massive arms?

fini

fini:

I did a search in the Vinyl Asylum on "Grado Dance", and it yielded a lot of infomation. Unifortunately, the application of that info has yet to yield a fix, but I'm still trying.

There are point-counterpoint opinions on the Asylum about why this occurs. One individual stated the Grado cartridges have "less damping" materials in their design, so they "are more suseptible to extreme low frequencies" in the record groove that might cause the resonance that causes the "dance".

Looked around the Grado web site, and didn't see any mention of the "problem" at all.

Just a follow up:

Pulled the Grado off and had my favorite audio store install a Sumiko Pearl. Had heard some good things about the Sumiko line and thought it would be worth a try.

The "dance" has certainly cleared up. Being an eliptical cartridge, it might be my impression, but background noise seems to be much less. Seems like the cartridge might need some break in time. Cartridge seems less bright than the Grado, maybe a little warmer. Bass is REALLY tight and present.

Interested in any of your thoughts on this cartridge, if you've used it.

Thanks!