best matching center for KG5.5

Yesfan70

Hello all,

First, I appreciate those who helped me out a while back with some of my speaker upgrade questions. Thank you. I came across someone who is selling a pair of KG5.5 that have the same finish as my current pair. I feel, I can't let this pass by.

Should this sale go through, what would be the best matching center for my KG5.5? I have looked at the following:

Klipsch Academy

Klipsch KLF-C7

Or use another KG5.5 in a custom made center speaker enclosure, if it can be done cheaply. This would mean buying another pair of KG5.5s, but I plan on having a front projection display in the future. I would be able to use the single KG to have matching speakers all around, when I get to this point. A big plus for multi-channel surround like SACD and DVD-A.

Which would you do?

Again, thanks to those who have helped me in the past. I hope I can get those KGs!! Wish me luck.

Here is a good match:

my_center_finished.jpg

:)

Check out this thread for more info:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=31872&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={86820FCF-1DE9-414F-8EA6-3D4FCB86415C}

I believe Klipsch did list the KV-2 and KV-3 as matching the KG5.5s, but I have a KV-3 and still didn't think it could keep up with my KG5.5s. You might be able to get a lone KG5.5 on eBay -- or maybe you could find someone that also wants a lone KG5.5 and go in on a pair. Note the KG4.5 also used the same K-85-K tweeter. The KG4.2 and KG5.2 also use a K-85-K tweeter but it is made of a different material and has a different phase plug.

Nice job! That looks pretty cool! My problem is, I'm not too gifted when it comes to wood work. From my point of view, would you say I'm better off just getting a center like the Academy or a KLF-C7? Have you heard those with a pair of KG5.5s? I have the KV-2, and it pretty much stinks compared to my KGs. I have also seen a KV-4 on Audiogon, but I haven't heard any of these speakers. I would hate to buy one, and then find out the timbre-matching isn't any better than what I already have.

I have thought about having an enclosure built for me, and just switch out the drivers from a spare KG. The crossover is what I'm worried about. I'm sure in a center speaker, both woofers are active, instead of one of them being passive. Right?

Also, would my proposed KG5.5 center be too heavy for my Pioneer Elite TV. If I go this route, I want to keep the woofers the same size. I plan on building my system more around surround formats like SACD and DVD-A.

I'm not worried about trying to buy a single speaker. I plan on owning a front projection system sooner or later. When that time comes around, I'll just switch out the custom center with the spare KG5.5.

Thanks for any suggestions.

First of all, a KV4 is not timbre matched to the KG5.5s so don't spend any money on one of them. A KV3 should sound a little better than the KV2 (or so I've been told) but still won't match another KG5.5 or something like I have.

Notice that I don't have my custom enclosure resting on my television -- and that's with good reason! Some around here disgree, but I have seen a lot of postings (at hometheaterspot) which say that over time the weight they placed on top of the RPTVs ended up causing the center of their TV to sag. Even if you go with just a KV-3, I would get a 3/8" piece of glass cut to the same size as the top of your TV and put little rubber feet only on the outside edges (not the front of back edges) and place that on your TV and the center on top of it. This way all the weight is distributed to the outside edge and not the center of the TV (where sagging would likely occur).

If your new center uses all the same drivers from a KG5.5 then you shouldn't need to change crossover design at all. In your KG5.5 both woofers are active too.

I appreciate the advice STL. Thank you.

I didn't know both woofers were active. I always thought one was a passive radiator. The specs don't say one way or another. That should make this project a lot easier. So, I'm guessing, as long as the cabinet is the same size as the KG's, I should have nothing to worry about? Good.

The only thing I would think would be different between a KG5.5 and my center version, is the position of the horn. I want it to be centered between the woofers. Also, one more thing. Where would you put the port?

I have a 60" Pioneer Elite. Pretty sturdy cabinet. Wood cabinet, no plastic at all. I'm not one to take chances, so I'll keep the TV tip in mind.

Again thanks for the help.

On the KG5.5 both 10" woofers are active. On the KG5.2 the 10" woofer was active and the other was a 12" passive radiator. Maybe that's where the confusion came from. You could go from one large port to two smaller ones. I can help you determine what to use if you'd like.

I am willing to bet that Pioneer is made or particle board that no thicker than 3/8". Try going to Home Depot and "playing" with a piece of 3/8" thick particle board to see just how NOT sturdy it is. The problem is the manufacturer didn't design the RPTV to do what you want so you're trying to make that wood frame (that is made as thin as possible to cut down on weight) carry a load it was never designed to do. I'm sure if you call Pioneer they will tell you not to put anything heavy on top.

Oh, I don't doubt that. I'm sure Pioneer would advise against it too. Even if it could, which I think it could, the wheels that allow you to move it around were probably design for its weight alone. The KGs weigh about 70lbs a piece if I can remember. That would be a pretty heavy center speaker. That and the 300+ lbs of TV would be quite a load on the wheels.

The KGs do use a pretty big port. I'm wondering if two smaller ports would be better. Maybe one between the horn and each of the woofers. When you're looking at it from left to right you would see woofer, port, horn, port, woofer. Sound good?

I would do (left to right) port, woofer, horn, woofer, port -- similar to my setup (see pic above). The ports would only be giving some low-end reinforcement so it would be best to place the woofers (which will be playing some midrange) closer to the center. Notice on a stock KG5.5 the woofers are closer to the horn and the port is all the way towards the bottom.

If you keep the internal volume the same and use dual ports (on a KG5.5) then you could use two 2.125" diameter ports that are each 3.125" in length. You have the option to make the cabinet slightly smaller -- you would just have to make the port tubes longer. Check www.partsexpress.com for port tubes.

One more question, Could I get away with using one port the same size as the stock. Is there any issues of port noise from using smaller ports.

If I could use the same size port as the stock one, where would you put it?

Also, there is the question of veneer. If I go this far in having a custom center made, would you get it with the same medium oak veener as the ones I currently have? How hard is this? I wouldn't mind for it to look like Klipsch made the speaker themselves. That "factory look" if you'll pardon the expression. LOL. Thanks again STL.

Yes, you could use one port and if the speaker is not going into and entertainment center, like mine, then you could just put the port on the back. Using two smaller ports like I suggested, port noise would not be an issue at all. That was a factor in my calculations. As far as veneer, that is an option but I hear it is pricey.

I noticed you mentioned you have oak KG5.5s. Well I have an oiled oak KG4.2 that I am looking to sell. I have someone (here on this forum) who might be wanting it already, but if he decides otherwise I'll offer it to you -- or anyone else here. I would even offer to redo the front baffle so the enclosure would work as a center channel speaker for a minimal price to cover my time. The KG4.2 uses the same K-85-K tweeter as the KG5.5 but the phase plug is different and the horn plastic is a different material. According to BobG (the moderator here) it sounds like it was just a manufacturing change (see http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=14780&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={41D66585-B90F-4CAC-9D7A-6190BD5163BD} ). Trey said that soncially the are really the same and thus that's why they are both called K-85-K horns. The KG4.2 only uses one 10" woofer so it wouldn't be an exact match to your KG5.5s, but it would be a very, very good match (since they use the same horn). Furthermore it would likely cost you a lot less than buying a lone KG5.5 then paying someone to build an oak-veneered enclosure! Let me know if you are interested and I can get you some pictures.