Dark Side of The Moon 5.1 mix

timerr

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone has read this yet in other places, but it looks like the US produced DSOTM disc is defective. Many people are reporting cracks in the center spindle hub that go outword towards the data area. The discs seem to have been manufactured in three different plants, EU, US, and Japan.

So far so good on my disc. It has a chip in the center, but no cracks yet.

Check your discs. I'd hate to hear that one exploded in a player.

i would imagine many of you may have experienced this, but i may play 'wizard of oz' again with pf dsom/sacd as the audio. start on the 3rd lion roar. one of my favorite songs syncs up w/the tornado, and then when dorothy opens the door and the movie becomes color, that is when 'money' begins. if you haven't tried this, check it out.

avman.3.gif

EL: $175 is a darn good price, I paid $187 for mine. Same here on the dual DVD players, I use the Sony for the SACD only and the Denon for movies and DVD-A.

Interesting thing going on for all of us that are running front projectors or plasma with DVI input. New DVD player just out with a DVI output. This keeps the video 100% in the digital realm. No a/d d/a waffling about. Suppose to be the clearest picture possible out of a DVD player. Best thing is that it lists for.......$200. Guess that means I'll have the Sony for SACD, Denon for DVD-A and the "V, Inc" for general movie watching. O brother.

Tom: I too have an early DSOM pressing and several CD's. While I concede that there are some aspects of vinyl that sound better to me (a more 'open' feel without the harshness of the CD's), on the whole the LP experience just doesn't do it for me. Seems like no matter how pristine the medium is.....even fresh out of the package.....there are still audible 'pops', 'scratchiness' and other 'noises' that are simply not worth the tradeoff (in my very humble opinion). To me, this is the excitement of both SACD and DVD-A.

Marshal: What IS up with Shine On anyway? Seems like every iteration (usually live) since the original release OMITs the killer Gilmour solo and jumps right into the opening vocals!!!

a few notes:

pfdsotm+wizard of oz-some of my favorite 'co-incidences'

the loud bells start ringing when the 'bad witch' first shows up on the bicycle. that incredible female vocalist starts singing when the tornado first appears, and when the tornado stops, her singing stops and the movie goes to color showing the yellow brick road right when 'money' starts. the 'bad witch' goes up and down the stairs of the 'platform' the good witch is standing on when they sing up-up-up and down-down-down (who knows which is which and who is who)...the lunatic is on the path-when the scarecrow joins them on the yellow brick road.

there is a dvd player by a company, vinc.,that has dvi output, but the EXCITING feature is it up-converts dvd's to 720p/1080i HIGH DEFINITION!9.gif

this is the most likely candidate as my next dvd player. by using the 720p output mode, i can set my 1366x768 wxga projector to 'wide-through' mode and bypass any internal video processing of my projector. this should result in a phenominal picture10.gif

one of the best dvd/multi-channel sacd players i have seen/sold was the sony dvpnc900v. heavy w/good build quality.

avman.

It is important to note that the VInc DVD player 'upscales' to one of 4 formats....480p, 720p, 1080i or 'DVI Gateway'. The picture resolution is limited to the original source material. (720x480) That being said, I think that the video image gains, which are rumored to be significant, are in the fact that there is no a/d d/a conversions. Digital all the way. No video processing at the player. Purely up to your display's capabilitiy. Set it and forget it!!

I tried to order one but they are not currently raking orders. Claim they are sold out. Gotta put your name in a hat and await V Inc to 'ping' you.

Anyone who is interested, the url is: www.vinc.us

Mr 'boooo'.....please don't wander back just yet. We're all entitled to our opinions, some are just more insistant that theirs is the only right opinion.

Used to be that I was 2 channel, without waver. 1954 Khorns, Dynaco St-70, leave me alone I'm 'tubing'. Still do on occasion, though I must admit that 'occasion' gets fewer and farther between. "5.1 channel ears"? Unless you're a stereo microphone, you've got the same ears as the rest of us. Multi-million ears. I hear things from all over the place, not just 2 sources. Any live performance yields multiple points of sonic wavelength origin.

More to the point of why I'm 're-learning' some of my old favorites in surround is the fact that when mixed correctly, every instrument get's it's 'own' space. It's like 2-channel went 3-D. Two guitars dueling now duel as it should be.....from opposing corners rather than 'log-jamming' to get out the same speaker. Spacious and glorious.......**when done right**

I wasn't going to go there but since it came up. Just my personal opinon. I prefer two channel, when set up properly it presents a very real soundstage and the dynamic traits of a good system give you all the "enveloping" of sound needed. Granted I haven't heard 5.1 SACD, but my suspicion is it can't be that far from DVD quality sound, not that thats saying much either. I'm not just pulling these observations out of thin air, although my signature doesn't show it, I have a HT system also, and even on that I go to two channel mode, IMHO, it provides the most realistic stage presence possible.

Tom

----------------

On 4/29/2003 6:38:37 PM rf3iicrazy wrote:

...5.1 SACD, but my suspicion is it can't be that far from DVD quality sound, not that thats saying much either.

Tom

----------------

Actually, SACD is capaple of full high resolution in all channels. Although DVD-A can do advanced resolution in all channels it does not have enough space on the disk to do full MC at full resolution so usually the rears are reduced a few notches or all are reduce a little bit.

----------------

On 4/29/2003 6:21:18 edwardre wrote:

...when mixed correctly, every instrument get's it's 'own' space. It's like 2-channel went 3-D. Two guitars dueling now duel as it should be.....from opposing corners rather than 'log-jamming' to get out the same speaker. Spacious and glorious.......**when done right**

----------------

I have strong feelings coupled with fear about this have have deleted the page rant that I wrote.

In short, I enjoy MC music but I hope that the gimmick does not ruin it for the high end listeners.

rf3iicrazy

Come over and listen. The floyed sacd is one of the best out there. You have to remember it is old though. What you get out of your 2 channel, you can get out of 5 with sacd. You have to have a good system and and a good mixed sacd. My father was like you also, then he came and listened. He loved money with the noises coming out of all the differnt speakers. He was really impressed when I fired up my denon sacd player and played Celine Dion. Perfectly clear in all 5 speakers. This is probally the cleanest sounding disk I have ever heard. All this is my opionan and the impressions I have had with people that heard it that are like you. I don't even have the best system but it is good. Don't rule it out intill you have heard it on a good system.

easylistener,

Its not that I'm ruling it out, it's the concept that Idon't care for. Lets examine what good two channel is about. Its about getting that resolution, accuracy, and imaging, all the while having the music come across, well emotionally. It takes more than getting sound to envelope you from five or seven sides. It takes more than it sounding "crystal clear". It's about tone, dynamics music being presented as if it's being performed in front of you. On a good system you feel the music not hear it. I think the 5.1 music concept has a ways to go in ley of engineer mixing quality. On the other hand 5.1 is great for HT, my system is on allthe time, even with cable and broadcast tv. As for now I'll stick to my two channel for music.JMHO.

Tom1.gif

----------------

On 4/29/2003 6:21:18 PM edwardre wrote:

I hear things from all over the place, not just 2 sources. Any live performance yields multiple points of sonic wavelength origin.

----------------

i totally agree, all i'm saying is that the imaging of truly hifi 2 channel speakers (i run klipsch rp3s) provides a far more realistic soundstage than anything decoded into 5.1, which always sounds forced or unnatural in comparison, at least in my experience.

----------------

On 4/30/2003 12:21:08 AM arena wrote:

i totally agree, all i'm saying is that the imaging of truly hifi 2 channel speakers (i run klipsch rp3s) provides a far more realistic soundstage than anything decoded into 5.1, which always sounds forced or unnatural in comparison, at least in my experience.

----------------

That was the point of my deleted rant earlier. Thanks for putting it nicer. I knew someone would. That's why I didn't print it.

Continued nicer....

In a properly set up 2 channel system you will get an amazing 3D presentation with sounds coming from all over (including behind the listener). I just don't see the need for MC on normal music other than to allow the unknowing to think that their Bose systems do something great. When in reality it does no more than a properly set up 2 channel.

Hence my fear that MC will be the end of the good 2 channel setups via the continuation of poorly mastered media that sounds good in cars, boom boxes, and substandard systems while actual hifi equipment will reveal the problems with the recording.

I am already seeing this in the new CD's that are coming out. More and more of them are relegated to only being played in my kitchen boom box, and car. I cringe when I put them in the main system because they sound like crap and I don't want to torture my speakers with their square waves. I see MC as the next step in this sound degridation and it scares me.