The 4.1 subwoofer

MD1032

Hey, I currently have a set of Logitech Z-540 computer speakers and want some information in case I ever want to upgrade them...well, actually, WHEN i upgrade them. I am curious as to the power of the 4.1 sub. Is it the same as the 2.1 sub? I don't want to lose the power I ahve now with my Logitech sub. At least I know it will sound clearer. Here are Logitech's specs. Not very detailed at all. They don't even tell you it uses a pressure driver instead of a long-throw woofer.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&contentid=5045&CRID=2&detail=2&countryid=19&languageid=1

The Z-540 uses an I believe 4" active driver with an 8" passive driver in a dual chamber enclosure at like 25w?

The PM 4.1 subwoofer is more powerful then the PM 2.1 subwoofer. The PM 4.1 uses Dual 6.5" active drivers tuned to 50-55hz. 70w RMS with a 160w MBO output and can drive down to 30hz give or take a few hz. The most I ever got out of the subwoofer with placement and gain in my smaller room, is an impressive 106db peak output in the 40-80hz area. It is a bit on the boomy side, but it is a cleaner and more accurate sub then the Z series. If you want a sub to compare, compare it to the Z-560. It's very much so like it. The difference between the two is that the Z-560 has better power handling at ear bleeding volume, were the Promedia 4.1 will drive a bit lower and a little cleaner, also blends better with rest of system.

Hope this helped.

No, I have the Z-540 speakers, not the 560. The 560 is the one with the earth-shaking subwoofer which I DON'T have by a longshot. At any rate, I think I'm becoming more and more comvinced that my next set should be a Klipsch set instead of my originally planned Z-560 or 680 upgrade. WOW boy that subwoofer looks pretty nice. I could go for one of those. I might as well get the PM 5.1 though. Thanks for the info.

edit: Don't forget I'm putting up with that Logitech sub, and while it's powerful, it's very empty-sounding and kind of inaacurate.

Is the Z-560 sub comparable to the PM5.1? At my local CompUSA, they have the Logitech Z-680 and PM5.1 systems set up. I know the 680 sub is merely a modified 560 sub (except heat sink is bigger and outside the cabinet). The 680 wub obviously blows the PM5.1's in terms of power with its 8" 188 watts RMS long-throw woofer, but the Klipsch subwoofer is cleaner.

The Z-560/680 is very similar, there is really no REAL difference between the the two. The PM 5.1 sub will not play as loud as the Z-680 (Its still damn loud and will shake, rattle and roll a room with autority if done right) however it is a cleaner subwoofer, and will hit the lower notes better. (Meaning it will hit the 25-35 hz area better)

OK. Well, it's a bit unlikely for me to get an upgrade soon, but I might as well ask around. I've pretty much decided my next set to be Logitech or Klipsch. I'd love to just buy a Klipsch system, but EVERYONE is complaining that their systems are frying! I don't want to buy a system that's going to die on me in 2 years! Oh well, at least get me some info on where I can get the PM4.1's at a good price (from an authorized dealer). I sure hope they're cheaper than the 5.1's because if they're not at least 100 bucks cheaper I'm getting the 5.1's.

edit: I might not be able to suppot the 5.1's as my room is small. Time to think smaller. How is the 2.1 sub? Is it more powerful than the 540 sub? I know it's cleaner. I'm dying for a set of PM's at any rate.

Yeah i agree, the 2.1 is not much cheaper then 4.1's...so logically you should go for the more powerful 4.1 system. Look into circuit city for some info...they are an authorized dealer with pricing around $170-180 for the 4.1's.

If your room is too small, then only use two of the speakers, but if ya went to a bigger room...then you wouldn't need to upgrade again.

I can support the 4.1's, but the center channel and control center have no place on my small desk. WOW, that's very reasonable! I'll go for it next chance I get.

edit: hmmmm. Not that I'm looking at one, but out of curiosity: What's the difference between the v.2-400 and the PM4.1? They look identical and are basically the same!

edit: only one difference noticable: on mid-range drivers the dust caps are not inverted.

Not 100% sure on this, but i believe they reworked speakers and amp section on the 4.1 Plus it gets an extra stereo IN on the control speaker, headphones out and something else that i cant remember.

v2-400 can be bought for as low as 128+25 shipping on ebay or 186 with free shipping from gameve.com

Try your local CompUSA store - mine had Klipsch 5.1 for a pretty good price. Sales person said these are some of the last ones and they dont expect to get any soon.

Just dont forget that you might have to send them in for replacement if they die...

Well, I might as well get the PM4.1's. BTW, I'm not getting this upgrade now, this is way down the road. Yeah, that's my main hesitation with Klipsch is that my speakers are going to die. I mgiht just get some Logitechs and be safe. What's that warranty on these things anyway?

4.1s are awesome for the price. if u want to get 4.1s, go to circuitcity.com and they have it there for 189.99 with free shipping. DO NOT GET v2.400, their control pod is not as nice as the ones on the 4.1s and the crossover has not been improved as has been on the 4.1s.

How could the 5.1's be worse than the 4.1's?? You'd think with all of the latest technology available and the control pod and all they'd be more stable.

I'm still kinda leaning towards the Logitechs because they won't die on me. Then again, if their highs are going to suck like the highs on my 540's do, NO WAY.

edit: I'll make a new thread where we'll have a shootout.