Please help choosing a DVD changer under $400

onadi

None of the above.

A multi disc unit simply will not provide optimal performance. In addition DVD players are notorious for substandard audio reproduction.

You would do better to buy a good used single play CD player and a decent used DVD player.

With a little luck and some careful shopping you could stay in budget and have a system that is much superior in performance to the units you are considering. One caveat though if you decide to go the route I suggest don't buy anything without thoroughly testing it and satisfying yourself that it is working properly. Ideally you would have the opportunity to test the units at home and connected to your existing equipment.

You can see from my equipment list that I own the Panni CP 72. It has extraordinary picture quality in progressive mode and no choma bug. The audio output for DVD's is also stellar. For CD playback, I would suggest using the Analog stereo outputs run to the analog stereo inputs of you receiver, especially if your speakers are Klipsch. Otherwise you may find playing CD through the digital output of the CP72 to be a bit on the bright side, reserve that for movies.

Can't comment on the Yamaha but the Denon's guts are made by Panasonic...so unless you absolutely must spend more money (LOL)...go for the CP72.

Jerry Rappaport9.gif

I was going to run analog RCA's for CD music, but the Yamaha has Burr-Brown decoders which would be better than the CP-72. I think that the CP-72 is very similar as far as DVD playing goes, but what you are paying for with the Yamaha is the addition of the better music decoders.