How to know an "authorized Sunfire (or other) dealer?"

woolygums

I am about to order a Sunfire receiver/amp direct from an eaby seller. He claims to be an "Authorized Dealer." Yet below I find the page from the Sunfire site

"Please note that a Sunfire equipment warranty is honored for the original purchaser and subsequent owners within the warranty period only when the new product is originally purchased from an authorized Sunfire Dealer. Sunfire sells products only through authorized 'brick and mortar' dealers where our customers receive genuine NEW Sunfire products, as well as quality service and support. Sunfire does not authorize Internet sales of new equipment. This applies to new equipment only.

"Why the fuss? There are a number of unauthorized dealers which have come to our attention for their ability to acquire our products through surreptitious means and then resell them to unsuspecting customers. These products may be used, discontinued, stolen, or even counterfeit. It's not unusual for such dealers to deny responsibility for service problems or support issues. This is counter to Sunfire's commitment that you have a wonderful experience with every aspect of selecting, purchasing, and owning Sunfire products."

How can I be sure that the warranty will be honored? The seller says that the unit has a "factory warranty."

What should I do to be sure?

Thanks

Bill

Call Sunfire directly and inquire. They'll be the first to tell you who's authorized and who is not. You can then make an informed decision as to whether it's worth trading off a factory warranty for a lower price (if in fact the person is not an authorized dealer).

JMHO,

C

Hi There,

This is my first post on this forum, but your inquiry prompted be to respond with my experience with the Sunfire Ultimate.

My first unit hooked up to Klipsch RF7s had a terrible hum. After talking with Sunfire, I exchanged it for another unit that had the same problem. Very frustrated at this point and eliminating all ground-loop possibilities I contacted Sunfire again, who simply said that is a function of the receiver and nothing could be done about it. (I have a very accoustically dead room, and could easily hear the hum from 8 feet away).

Further investigation revealed the Ultimate Electronics display had the same hum on a third unit (but you couldnt hear it due to the noisy store atmoshpere)

I then exchanged the unit for a Denon 5803 which was dead quiet.

So my advise to you is, make sure whoever you buy it from has a good exchange/return policy and see if it will be a good fit for your speakers.

My experierence is that it doesnt like high efficiency speakers like Klipsch.

Beyond the fatal hum, I loved the unit and wished it would have worked. I still have a favorable impression of Sunfire, but the "Ultimate" wasnt.

Feel free to email me if you need any additional info.

Thanks, and good hunting.

Yes check on the Sunfire.com website who is a legit dealer and who is not.

Now as for the Sunfire being noisy...ha.I tried two Sunfire amps(the Signature two and five channel versions)both were silent when used with RF7's.Tried the Sunfire receiver and the Carver 1000 receiver both were also "quiet".

As for Denon I had two(one left)the 5800 and 3802,the 5800 had a minor buzz and the 3802 has a major buzz when driving ANY external power amp(used as preamp).

No product is perfect

Indeed, no product is perfect.

But to have 3 units all with the same characteristic and to have the manufacture admit that is a "limitation of the product" tells me they have some bugs to work out on thier new receiver. If they can lower the noise level, it would be a terrific unit.

I have also heard nothing but good things about thier separate components.

This was just my experience with the product.

----------------

On 4/25/2003 1:08:10 PM Mulman wrote:

Hi There,

This is my first post on this forum, but your inquiry prompted be to respond with my experience with the Sunfire Ultimate.

My first unit hooked up to Klipsch RF7s had a terrible hum. After talking with Sunfire, I exchanged it for another unit that had the same problem. Very frustrated at this point and eliminating all ground-loop possibilities I contacted Sunfire again, who simply said that is a function of the receiver and nothing could be done about it. (I have a very accoustically dead room, and could easily hear the hum from 8 feet away).

Further investigation revealed the Ultimate Electronics display had the same hum on a third unit (but you couldnt hear it due to the noisy store atmoshpere)

I then exchanged the unit for a Denon 5803 which was dead quiet.

So my advise to you is, make sure whoever you buy it from has a good exchange/return policy and see if it will be a good fit for your speakers.

My experierence is that it doesnt like high efficiency speakers like Klipsch.

Beyond the fatal hum, I loved the unit and wished it would have worked. I still have a favorable impression of Sunfire, but the "Ultimate" wasnt.

Feel free to email me if you need any additional info.

Thanks, and good hunting.

----------------

NOW I am concerned. I don't want to spend this much money on a hum. haven't ordered it yet. Maybe I shoud wait or go with something that has been out longer. Not that I doubt Mulman's post, but have not heard any other complaints about the Ultimate. Still it does bode poorly that three Sunfires in a row had this problem.

I am still in construction (dust and crud do not mix with good amps) of our warehouse home and not yet ready to install any new amp. I have a Pioneer 509 hooked up to the MCM 1900 and can hear some of my favorite music, "Tocatta and Fuge in D minor" by Vanessa Mae and "Techno remix of Chinese National Anthem," by Leon Lai and of course the boogie woogie strains of the incomparable Albert Amons.

So I am gonna wait while these new top line av amps settle down a bit and the prices can do nothing but get cheaper.

Will be seeing all you fine folks on this forum and reading your posts.

Thanks

Bill Marsh

Atlanta GA