3-way shootout!

MD1032

OK, I'd like to take 3 speaker systms and have a battle betweeen them to see which gets the best bang for the buck, clarity, and power.

#1: Altec Lansing 641

--page: http://www.altecmm.com/product_details.asp?pID=641&sID=1

--specs: http://www.altecmm.com/downloads/641%20sell%20sheet.pdf

Altec Lansing is almost forgotten now that Klipsch and Logitech own the speaker market, but can this oldie-but-goodie pull through to the top?

#2: Logitech Z-560

--page & specs: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/details&contentid=5044&CRID=2&detail=2&countryid=19&languageid=1

Logitech has finally put out some competition for Klipsch with it's decent full-range drivers and MASSIVE subwoofer. But are the highs good enough to make it worthwhile?

#3: Klipsch ProMedia 4.1

page & specs: http://www.klipsch.com (unable to get direct link)

Klipsch owns the speaker market. They've got superior quality and power, but if this thing is going to break in 2 years, what's the use?

It's up to you guys to find as much info for me as you can. When I upgrade, I want to make the best descision possible. the funny thing about all of these systems (which I like) is that they all have sufficient bass power to satisfy me, so it's a matter of quality vs. bang-for-the-buck.

thats so not a shootout man!

atleast not a 3 way shootout.

take altec 641 off the list - its not even on the same level. the sats hiss because of inferior amp wiring and the sub acts like a secondary midrange driver. throw it away.

the logitech 560 should not even be considered a challenger. as far as quality is concerned, the sub burns out 1/5 times. check out forums on google.com and u will see what kind of electrical problems plague the 560.

the klipsch 4.1s own the three. there is only one other challenger that might be a better buy: the logitech 680. first of all, it is a 5.1 ssytem with a subwoofer that can make the dual 6.5s of the 4.1 cry like a baby. secondly, the oodles of decoder, nice control soundtouch thing, and remote more than make up the lack of satellite prowess (in comparison to the 4.1) and the slight center channel hiss. lastly, the 680s can be had for as low as 200 from dell - if u have a coupon.

this is how i would rate the speakers:

Logitech 680: 4.5/5

Klipsch 5.1: 4.5/5 (would be a 5 if it werent for all the amp failures)

Klipsch 4.1: 4.25/5

Altec 641: 3/5

Logitech 560: 3.75/5

Here's how I see it:

The Altecs are bar none..better for music. They are more neutral in their frequency response. They do have warm midrange, but don't have the slam as far as presence. Their subwoofer is a little higher on the crossover, but it's one of the few subwoofers that can drive low...and i do mean LOW! I'm talking low like the 5.1 subwoofer, and the ability to make a room cry. They have nice warm highs, not as detailed as klipsch's, but they are nice.

The Logitechs...this to me is a mixed bag. The logitechs have really nice midrange...plenty of presence, and for a full-range driver has some pretty nice highs....now they won't match the tweeters on good systems though. The subwoofer can get loud yes, and can boom liek a beast, but it lacks definition and gets VERY carried away, and likes to take over the soundstage a lot. You have to turn the sub down to get any decent balance, but then the question beg...why even have it.

The klipsch are quite balanced. They are made for bigger rooms, as the smaller rooms will provide many reflections and cause brightness..something people blame on the horns. Horns are made to to travil sound through larger places...because their waveguide are designed to find the listeners ears. When they are setup right, they have nice detailed highs, warm midrange and deep lows with good punch...it does get a little boomy, but not as bad as the Z-560. Overall a great pick.

Here's my ratings:

9/10 for Klipsch

8/10 for Altec

7.5/10 for Logitech

newbie question....

i own the 5.1 system, bought 1 month ago.

what is the real difference between the 4.1 and the 5.1 re: the satalites only, I understand the surround,/channels, but wondering if the specs on the satalites are the same for both the 4.1 and the 5.1.

reasoning: I love the 5.1 sound, but not a bass junkie.... the 5.1 on my computer sounds better than my home system.

was thinking of getting either a 2.1 or a 4.1 for the computer and switching my 5.1 to my home theat and throw away my rca bookshelves...

frankly the 5.1 is too much for my computer, it doesn't deserve that much sound, and center channel is fairly worthless to me in a NON dvd environment

however, not sure whether or not i'm getting less (than just less watts, and smaller bass) by getting a 4.1 in satalites, *(i just don't want to think i'm only sacrificing a little wattage and thumping bass and find out that my 4.1's don't compare and i'm dissapointed...

The main difference between 4.1 and 5.1 is this:

5.1 sats feature inverted dust caps which help with distortion, and stand at a slightly lower angle then 4.1's.

5.1 has Dual Side-firing 8" drivers at I believe (According to new FCC regulations?) is 170w (Used to be 200w according to Klipsch) where as the PM 4.1 has Dual Side-firing 6.5" drivers at 70w (Used to be 160w according to klipsch)

The crossover is a bit different between the two. The 5.1's crossover was raised a little bit due to the limits of upper bass freq. 4.1 had trouble with...trying to get so low on a 3" driver (120hz 2-pole), where 5.1 I believe is in the 130ish area. However more people find the filtering between the 5.1 sats and subwoofer are better now.

Of course the 5.1 also has a center channel and a neat little external control pod.

Can I invert the dust caps of the 4.1's myself? BTW, I do have a VERY small room. My computer is in my bedroom and it's very small. I don't get why Klipsch horned the tweeters, it's just a bit too much. I'm getting mixed opinions. I'm not ready to cross any of them off the list. I'm actually reading one of many good reviews on the AL 641 and it looks well rounded, especially for the price. Eh, the 200 watts RMA isn't looking good though. BTW, here are the lowest prices I can find for the speakers:

641: can't find one. (no longer available)

Z-560: $139 @ newegg. Privately as low as 115!!

Klipsch PM4.1: $215 @ newegg

Well, the AL 641's are off the list now as they are no longer available. That's a shame. The 560's are looking good in terms of pricing, whereas Klipsch is really expensive considering how low they could actually go (no pun intended).

the horned tweeters are because thats how ALL klipsch speakers are... from their multimedia speaks to the home speaks and to the commercial speaks. klipsch is synonymous to horn-technology.

the main reason for the horn is because it increases the efficiency of the system by allowing a higher db/watt ratio. also, the horn helps to produce that "LIVE" effect - after all, concerts are held with horned speakers!

i personally like the horned tweeters - if i didnt, then i wouldnt have bought an entire klipsch HT.

Well, I'll be damned! That's one heck of a price for the PM4.1's!! Guess I know where to get them now. The Z-560's are still a helluva lot cheaper. But, are they worth it? I have the 540 right now and I HATE it's boomy subwoofer, and if the 560's is going to be similar, I don't want it. Then again, it also has a lot fo power. I'm also concerned about the 560's highs. I'm basically crazy when it comes to clear highs. They have to be there and clear for me to buy it. Are they still good enough? That phase plug might help, but can it compete with a tweeter?

Nice, can you give me a link?

BTW, this is the way I see it now in terms of advantages over the other:

Klipsch 4.1:

--sweet highs to die for

--clear low-hitting subwoofer

Logitech Z-560:

--POWER

--powerful subwoofer (although not as clear)

--WON'T BREAK

--cheaper

I don't know what to do. I want the PM4.1 more than I want the 560, but I just can't decide....

OK, I give up. The winner is Klipsch. Next stop: parents, the source of cash.

The 4.2 is a waste in my opinion. Who the heck would want an extra subwoofer cabinet sitting around? I think it's better to settle for the 4.1.