Forward vertical tilt needed on front/center bookshelves?

MarvinG

Imagine sitting 8-10 feet in front of a 57 widescreen HDTV, with a shelf directly over it holding the 2 fronts and the center channel speakers

When seated, the speakers are aimed right over the listeners head !

Shouldnt they be tilted a bit ( ie raise the rear to tip the top forward) so they are pointing to the listener?

Ive read about horizontal tilting, ie toe-in the left and right to 60 or 45 degrees), but what about vertical tilting ie tipping the front of the speaker forward so that its pointed to the listener when seated.

Does any one do this, or have I got it wrong?

Marvin

I do exactly what you are suggesting.I have an expensive builtin wall unit and only reasonable placement for RB5s (to allow some room behind) is on top shelf. I simply folded hand towels, making them thicker toward the rear to allow the two fronts and center to "list" downward. The towels also provide an isolation from the units that help to avoid rattles of items below on the shelves.So....the answer is yes, it makes sense to aim them down and direct them at ear level where you will be listening most of the time. I tow mine in slightly from the side walls which seems to focus the sweet spot toward the center of the room, but experiment with this as each room is different.