Upgradeing to seperates, what should I expect??

colin d.

Hi all,

I would like to start my upgrade to seperates, first starting with a used Outlaw 750 amp (5x165) and useing my Interga DTR-6 (5x85) as a pre-pro.

My only concern is I won't hear much difference from just useing my receiver. Can someone comment on the audio difference going from receiver to seperates? We (my family and I) mostly listen to 90% movies and 10% music at this time. I know Klipsch are very efficent speakers and my system has been calibrated with a SPL meter, Avia ect.., and we have a dedicated h.t. room with acoustical wall treatments. It is 15x26x7...

I was hopeing by useing a dedicated amp with almost twice the power of the receiver, I would possibly get a little more "dynamic sound" or "punch" in the mid-range, even at lower volumes, or am I expecting to much??

My speakers are Forte's as mains,C-7 center,RS-3 surrounds,SVS 16-46 with dedicated 250 watt amp.Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,Colin

I can not comment on the outlaw amp, however I can tell you that the Onkyo/Inegra will work very well for music as a pre-amp in direct mode. I have an Onkyo TX DS-777, but I am using an external amp for the main speakers.

I have compared mine by using the varible outputs of my cd player straight to the amp, compared to using the direct mode on the Onkyo, & could not tell the difference.

As for theater mode, I am very happy with the sound of the unit, but have never compared it to any other surround processors.

colin,

Your system looks very similar to my own; let me share with you my experience in upgrading to separates:

I tried working a receiver into my existing 2.1 channel system; feeding the mains with a higher quality 2-channel McCormack amplifier, and using an HK receiver decoding, and for powering the center and surrounds. I wasn't really happy with the soundstage... with the panning from left to right, or the power into the surrounds (which, admittedly, are not the powerhouses that my Fortes and KLF-C7 are). I therefore sacrificed some of the 2-channel quality, and went with a 5-channel Rotel. I immediately noticed a fuller and more balanced soundstage, including a more solid response from my surrounds, and better transitions between the fronts and center.

Since I had also gotten rid of my better 2-channel pre-amp, I was using the receiver as a pre-pro; I switched to a home theater processor (Anthem AVM20), and gained so much more in clarity, quality, and realism, I feel like a separates evangelist. Klipsch speakers shine with quality sources and amplifiers, but don't underestimate the importance of a quality processor.

My next goal is to find an amplifier with the sonic quality, fingerprint, whatever, of the McCormack 2-channel amp I gave up; then my journey to audio-video Nirvana will much closer to being finished (but will probably never really be finished)...

Colin

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum.

I went to separetes in 1983 and have NEVER looked back. Going to separates gives you the freedom and the ability to take your listening to an unlimited level. Allowing you to buy the best of the best and upgrade in affordable steps. You can replace amps and processors in the future as technology changes with total freedom.

What to expect. You will get more detail and imaging by separating shared components. The more you can separate your grounds circuits the better imaging you will get. That is why most of us separates "freaks" use mono amps instead of Stereo amps.

Yes it does make a difference.