Silly Questions Galore!

Wintermute

I am hoping someone from this learned forum might be able shed some light on some inane questions. First, is there a difference between American VCR/Tapes and European VCR/Tapes. Second, Does switching the region on DVD player have any adverse effects? Thanks in advance for any and all help in these matters. Cheers, Wintermute

European TVs and VCR run on a PAL standard and US TVs and VCRs run on the NTSC standard. I do not know about the tapes themselves. The DVD player's output will will match the TVs of each continent, but I think the disc's contents are the same, the adjustment being made in the player. Changing regions won't hurt anything and should not change the output format.

Winter - If you haven't already, poke around at www.avsforum.com. They are very strong on video questions, and have lots of members in Europe. I remember about a 60 page thread on the Philips DVD-963SA which had the majority of content related to how to hack it for multi-region and SCART output and all kinds of stuff which meant nothing to me.

DD