Criteria for NOS Tubes?

ShapeShifter

Most of us know that an NOS Tube means New Old Stock. Preferably old stocks that are brand new tubes produced years ago.

Just wondering if some of you know if there are some criteria such as a fixed time frame or guidelines as to when a tube is considered an NOS type. Will our current production tubes become NOS in 20-30 years?

Possibly not.

I read NOS (and I check dates anyway) as being that time when tubes were the primary electronic amplification device. At that time there was sufficient demand so that a manufacturer could invest in R&D and production tooling, provide a superior device, and expect a payback.

The demand for today's tubes is small. Is seems some sources have produced excellent devices (Sovtek, Svetlana, Valve-Art, maybe KR, and maybe Sophia, ..) I use Sovtek KT66s because I can't afford NOS. For all other tube types that I use (E88CC, 6SN7, 5U4G, 2A3), NOS have much better sound. Why would these new devices join the ranks of others of superior quality, just because they are old? Because even newer ones are worse? That's frightening.

leok

Hi Leo,

Yea, your definition is basically what I've found in the various sources I've read thus far. You are right that those of us that have an interest in tube and tube gear are a small representation of the overall number of audio enthusiast. My thoughts on old vs. new kept returning to the cost of newer WE 300B's vs. the NOS WE 300B's. Since I've never heard the NOS WE 300 B's, I couldn't help but wonder about the price vs. performance benefits between the two and if the newer ones would someday be considered NOS favorites like their elders.

I also see many resellers listing their tubes as NOS. In their detailed descriptions they state they were pulled from equipment, but test as new. Don't know if that's considered acceptable or slight of hand?

Seems the key thing is to try and verify as much as possible if the advertised item is genuine, delivers the sonic goods and are good buys.

Thanks.

Wes