wall position and bass output

Reference my post of today calling for more bass from my KLF30s...wow, i just reread all of the answers to my post. Thank you guys very much for sharing your knowledge. Did I get it backward in assuming that more space between the wall and the rear of the speaker (thus the passive radiator) means MORE bass because the speaker can then move the air more efficiently??? Because one of the responses said that the closer the speakers are to the wall, the greater the bass will be! How far from the wall should they be for forceful, punchy bass? I recently added an excellent sub, by the way...an SVS 20-39PC. Very tasty...and I know it is everything that I want in my sub. Perhaps I am too close to all of my speakers. How large is YOUR HT room (that would be my den) and how far away from your speakers is your listening position?

My System:

KLF-30s main

KLF-C7 center

JBL 4312As surrounds

SVS 20-39PC Plus subwoofer

Yamaha HTR 5250 HT receiver

Toshiba 56H80 16:9 HD ready

Guest BobG

Generally speaking, the closer speakers are to the boundary walls, floor etc, the more bass you'll hear. This is a generalization. It does not mean that the closer the speakers are to the wall the BETTER the bass will be. In fact, the bass is usually flatter and more evenly balanced when the speaker is some distance away from the wall. How far is completely room dependent.

Then there is the question of room modes or what is called standing waves. The bass at any given point in the room may vary wildly; like +- 12dB due to the cancellation effects of room modes. Try moving a couple of feet either way as you listen to bass heavy material, you'll notice some pretty dramatic shifts in bass. Again, it's a room thing and the most you can do is position your speakers so that AT YOUR LISTENING POSITION the bass is the way you like it. To a search of the internet for standing waves and read Dr. Floyd Toole's paper (he works for Harman Int'l).