Power protection and conditioning

I had so much fun reading about rectifier tubes that I thougth I throw another topic on the table that is sure to bring out the EE's.

I have noticed that unlike my Outlaw receiver, the Dynaco ST-70 clicks when I turn on or off the closet light. The air conditioner fan turn on seems to click as well.

The local retails push power conditioning boxes like extended warranties and I've read a lot of "snake oil" vs benefit posts on other forums.

Specific to our world of Klipsch and tubes what home room circuits, protection and condition is recommended?

If this happens at several "points" in the house, surge protection or any protection will "not" take care of it IMO, ok, may help in directional. You have a problem "in the house" wiring wise somewhere, just MO and several friends past experiences with older houses is in line...

I'd look for the root problem as opposed to a quick fix in a power bar\conditioner....IMO...

PS. Do I believe in Protection, as bears sh*t in the woods, minus Polar Bears for our southern neighbours 2.gif

I once lived in a "remote" community up in Canada's High Arctic(above 60), where the power was supplied by "diesel" and not the "actor" generator, and another for back up, thats it! It was a lottery, not how often the power went out, but when, time, day, you win!!

I had an Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer as my "1st" experience with a so-called conditioner\power bar, not that Radio Shack glorified...I couldn't have been happier, it performed as it was intended to do....protected my gear..IMHO 9.gif

just a thought....

How old is the house? A lot of houses' wiring causes noise to bounce through the circuit when switches are thrown, particularly if they're on the same breaker. Also, the wall socket acts like a voltage source, which can only output so much current. Once the current maximum is reached, the voltage available to the rest of the circuit will tend to drop (yes, this is highly oversimplified, but still, the point is there). When this happens, it's like the headlights of a car during starting; there isn't enough voltage to power it to full power, so they dim. This may explain some of the problems, such as when the air conditioner clicks on. As for the switch in the house, I would still suspect that the switch is causing noise to bounce back through the house. If you can relocate the amp to a different breaker, try and see if that solves the problem.

As for power conditioning, some of them may be beneficial. In the computer world, for critical applications, these sorts of power sources are applied regularly. Voltage dips and spikes can wreak havoc on power supplies of electronics. I actually had a power supply in my computer fail after a summer of being on the same breaker as an air conditioner, so a line conditioner may not be a bad idea. That being said, if it's marketed as an audio application, you know it'll be overpriced, so be careful about it.