Should I use the 8 or 4 ohm amplifier ouput on a pair of Chorus IIs?

I have a pair of Chorus II speakers that I am trying to mate with a 300B amplifier. The bass is lacking somewhat and another person recommended hooking the speakers up through the 4 ohm winding instead of the normal 8 ohm winding. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

Thanks

This seems like a very good suggestion to me.

There are no impedance curves published for the Chorus II (or the rest of the family). I certainly suspect it dips down to 4 ohms in the bass region.

The amp will probably be more happy with the speaker on the 4 ohm tap. You will probably find there is less noise (if there was any to start with). You will probably also notice you need a bit more drive level on the preamp.

Gil

Many people report that this helps with lower frequency definition, but at the expense of ultimate loudness. With your super sensitive loudspeakers that should not be a problem. Be aware however, that your loudspeakers dont reach as low as they could. Since our forum profiles do NOT tell me what you have for equipment, I suggest you research a powerful sub, like the SVS tubes, to support the deepest end. That will give you the solid state punch that the 300B amplifier may be lacking. Otherwise, I am of the opinion that your Chorus mid-range and high end will love the tubes. 2.gif

Thanks both of you for the information and I agree I may need to upgrade my sub. I have a small Definative Technology which is fine for home theater but does not blend very well with the Chorus. I will try the 4 ohm tap this weekend and see how it sounds.

Thanks again.

Mike