Question about Receivers and DVD's playing DTS

onadi

OK, I was trying to watch some DVD's yesterday and could not figure out how to put the receiver in DTS or Dolby Digital. I was using a PS2 as a DVD player and was not sure if that wast the problem. On the Denon 2803 receiver, I would hit the DTS button for digital data decoding but there would be no sound until I put it back on PCV or PCM or whatever the other setting is. How do I make the receiver use DTS or Dolby Digital? If I set it to auto should it automatically go to whatever the format is on the DVD or does the DVD have to have some type of flag encoded for the receiver to recognize? Is the problem using my playstation as a DVD player? When the receiver does use DTS will it default to matrix encoded because the system is 5.1?

Thanks for your help

The Play Station's "digital audio out" (not sure if the PS2's audio out is analog or digital) would need to be connected to the Denon's digital audio input. The digital audio out connection is not acheived via the 2 channel RCA output jacks, but either via a single RCA-style 75 ohm coaxial output jack to the Denon's coaxial digital input jack, or via an optical digital output to the Denon's optical digital input.

The digital audio signal carries the "flag" that tells the receiver which mode to switch into: either DD or DTS. If the PS2 does not have digital audio output capabilities, you will not be able to provide the Denon with a digital audio signal that it can then decode to either DD or DTS.

I ran an optical from the PS2 and set it to use the optical cable rather than the rca's. I also set the receiver to use the optical input but it still did not make the receiver go digital when playing Jurassic Park.