still comparing new mains...Klipsch vs. Thiel vs. Canton vs. B&W

b-man1

I have been continuing my speaker auditions...the comparisons included:

Klipsch RF-7

Thiel CS1.6 (~$2000 retail)

Canton Karat L 800 DC (~$4000 retail)

B&W DM603 S3 (~$2400 retail)

My impressions were that the best sounding (clarity, realism) came from the Thiel, then the Canton. The B&W did not impress me...actually sounding "harsh" and hurt my ears after a few songs. The Canton and Thiel speakers are beautiful, but the price tag on the Canton is frightening...haha. The Thiel were the 2nd to the lowest model they make, but the sound was awesome...aluminum drivers made for very precise and accurate sound. The problem with those is that the matching surround/center speakers list at $1400 each. ugh.

Then the RF-7's. They are by far the LARGEST speakers of the group...the mid range doesn't compare to the Thiel or Canton, but they do everything good enough and the PRICE makes them all the more attractive.

i am moving soon (end of june)...so my purchase will be shortly after i get into the new place. i just sold all of my current speakers, minus a few small ones to use until the upgrade.

i listened to a few martin logan static speakers...VERY good detail, but they were also extremely sensitive to placement. imaging was excellent, but only in a tiny listening area. they were also very large (tall), which i don't want. the models i listened to were on clearance for $3500+.

You may also want to consider slightly used speakers. Some of the expensive speakers in stores are a lot less used. Some on this board might be willing to sell their RF7's if the price is right.

Do you like the bright forward sound of Klipsch or the laid-back sweet sound of Vienna Acoustics Beethovens (used for around $2500)? You might find the Paradigm Studio 100's in the middle. They are a great value if you buy them in Canada.

The Klipsch RF7 has a lot of fans here as you might expect. You should be able to build a great HT at a relatively affordable price and with several form factors to choose from. It's a different sound to me so you might find it better than speakers notable more expensive or you might not like it at all.

If you are near an Ultimate check out their 7.1 Klipsch HT room.

Good luck.

one of my local dealers has a 7.1 klipsch setup...(RF-7's, RSW-15, etc)...powered by Aragon gear. AWESOME. the power is amazing.

it's kind of embarrassing, but i handed the salesman a cd with good vocals (les miserables) and when it started to play i said in an annoyed voice "man, you have the center channel on!"

he replied "nope...it's just great imaging".

hahaha. felt stupid, but was happy to see that the RF-7's could produce such a great sound stage at low AND high volumes. :)