Rotel RA-01 and the RF-7's?

stream

I have the RF-7's and absolutely love them. However, I don't think my Onkyo TX-SV636 is a very good match for them. It's a 100-watt/channel SS receiver, and I think it's just too much for the RF-7's. I'd like to go with a far smaller (yet higher quality) amp for these speakers since their efficiency is so high (102db@1 watt right?).

Have any of you paired up the new RA-02 (or RA-01 -- it's the same thing with no remote control feature) with the RF-7's or seen a demo of this pairing? At best, do any of you have any thoughts on this?

Personally, I think the warm Rotel sound with only 40 watts behind it will make these RF-7's sing, but I'd like to get some opinions before I drop the cash.

Thanks guys.

-jesse

Well, I know they will handle 250 watts continuous, but I just tend to think that 40wpc coming from a higher-quality amp (the Rotel) would sound better than 100wpc coming from a mid-quality amp (the Onkyo). The speakers are made to run off very low amounts of power, after all. Am I wrong in assuming that a high-quality yet low-powered amp would sound better than a high-powered lower-quality amp on extremely sensitive speakers? I know relatively little about HT, so please correct me if I'm wrong!

I guess instead of saying the Onkyo is "too much" for the RF-7s I should have said the Onkyo is "too much for the RF-7s when a higher quality low-powered amp would probably sound better." :)

-jesse

I don't listen real loud .. not so loud at all. My favorite amp puts out 3.5 Watts. I have an 8 Watt amp that I've never clipped (it's the Tripath based amp and when it clips there's no missing the event).

With the 99dB @ 1 Watt Forte-IIs, I've watched the speaker signals with a scope, when using a 60 Watt amp I used to have, and when the sound was as loud as I could tolerate, I saw what looked like 4 Watt peaks on the scope. The same volume should require about 2 Watts on the RF-7s.

I don't know anything about Rotel amps. Try to get an amp that has very low distortion at under a Watt (distortion of most ss amps is pretty high at under a Watt. That's why SS amps are generally specified at rated power .. not at a Watt). The Rotel might do well at low power.

If you can borrow a decent tube amp it might be worth the effort. Compare to the Rotel.

leok