best receiver to match KLF30s

Hi again guys! I have previously been trying to remedy the unsatisfactory bass performance from my 30's when playing music. I know that they should produce some kick a** bass! Polarity, positioning and phase have all been considered as potential causes of the unsatisfactory performance, without remedy. I recently wondered if playing my cds on a cd player rather than a dvd player would produce better music. I purchased a cd player to check this out and find that I prefer the music from the cd player to that from the dvd player. The CD player produces smoother, less harsh sounding music (the bass may also be improved) I am now wondering if greater improvement could be achieved by upgrading my HT receiver, which is the question of this post. So what do you guys think? And if the receiver could make a great deal of difference, then which one would be best matched to my big 30's? I have done some reading at this forum and find that some people prefer Denon, finding it less tinny and harsh than Yamaha is with klipsch speakers. Interestingly, my current HT receiver is a Yamaha. I am anxiously awaiting your input! Thanks, guys.

My System:

KLF-30s main

KLF-C7 center

JBL 4312As surrounds

SVS 20-39PC Plus subwoofer

Yamaha HTR 5250 HT receiver

Yamaha CDC 685 CD Player

Toshiba 56H80 16:9 HD ready

I'm going to be careful here, because this is one of those "you mileage may vary" experiences.

I had paired Klipsch and a Yamaha HT receiver about a year ago, a model up the ladder from your Yammy on the product line. I didn't care much for the results. I found the sound lacking in a number of areas, and bass response was one.

Asking an HT receiver to do the job for 2 channel is not always a rewarding venture. HT receivers are designed for HT, and lend their strenghts to producing a convincing Dolby Digital or DTS movie sound track experience.

So...the answer could lie elsewhere within your system, and could be inherent in the Yammy's ability to create convincing 2 channel music.

You did not indicate whether you were connecting the CD to the Yammy using the CD's digital or analog outputs. If connected digitally, you might try connecting the CD's analog outputs to the Yammy's analog inputs with high quality interconnects and see if that helps. Conversely, you could connect the CD digitally if it is not connected that way now and see what happens.

Just my own experience, using Klipsch Fortes and Chorus speakers (which some might consider earlier kinfolk to the Legends)...

My Denon 3300 actually did quite well with the bass on them (rated at 105wpc). However, because they were on clearance, I picked up an Acurus 200wpc amp and put it between my Denon and my main speakers, using the Denon as a pre-amp only for the front channels. I immediately noticed a change in bass - definition, kick, control. I attribute it not to just the higher power, but the higher damping factor and higher current/caps in the Acurus.

Perhaps you can find a good used 2-channel amp to drive your main speakers, using your receiver as a pre-amp for those channels.

DD

You can find a great deal on a great amp by purchasing used equipment. There are a who world of amps to choos efrom depending on your budget, and the KLF's don't need a high wattage amp to sound good.

For a moderately priced amp, some folks on the board have had good lcuk with Parasound, Adcom, and Acurus to name a few.