Interesting issues with DVD-Audio

Mallette

Well, the picture is getting more nearly clear about DVD-A. While there is plenty of room on there for very hi-res audio, seems the Dolby encoding spec was developed by dummies and doesn't allow for it. So 24/96 is the maximum for more than 2 channel audio. Also, 4 channels of 88.2 or 96 is possible without the expensive MLP compression. Luckily, I really see no reason for a .1 bass channel on the Ayslum Street Spankers recording as they use acoustic bass anyway.

So, I can produce a menu driven disc that will provide (for you 2 channel diehards;->) 2 channels of 24/176.4 with and without chatter, and 4 channels of 24/88.2 with and without chatter.

Here is the question for those of you with DVD-A players and experience: While I'd like to go to 24/96 and 24/192 with the material, that would leave me unable to get to 16/44.1 without transcoding...which is anathema to me.

Do you think there is an audible difference (or psychological for that matter...market appeal will be an issue) between the two? I can always (with a bit of extra hassle) take a second computer with a Card Deluxe and loop the analog from the stereo mics to it for the 16/44.1.

Help me with this...

Dave