Getting the most out of Progressive Scan

bchild311

Just got a new Sony Grand Wega 60" tv and am trying to get the most out of the picture when watching dvd's. I've heard on here a couple of times that it's best to go straight from the dvd to the tv with the component video cables. One of my friend's says he got better picture by going through his denon amp first then to the tv. Is he smoking dope or is there any truth to that? Seems logical that the quicker the direct signal to the tv, the better the picture. Thoughts?

Sweet pictures though, my home theater would be the mini version of that. I'm still waiting for my RF-5's and SVS sub to arrive though.. I'll post some pics when they do.

Sony Grand Wega 50

HK AVR-525

Mains:RF-5s

Surrounds:Synergy Inwalls (yuck)

Rear Surronds:Synergy Inwalls (yuck again)

Sub: SVS 20-39 PCi

There is a certain confusion about the Denon AVR3803 "video up-conversion" feature: it does not improve the source picture, it is not a line doubler, but a very convenient interface switch. Logic will tell us that any extra contact will only degrade the signal quality, and it might well be the case with video up-conversion. Yet, I tried connecting DVD player/cable box either way and did not see any significant picture degradation when the signal was switched through the receiver. Also there was no improvement to the picture. This feature is a convenience feature, and it works great for me. I only run one set of component cables to the RPTV, all other video cables terminate in the receiver.

I was doing the direct thing until a local store did the going out of business sale on everything. So I bought enough Tributary cables to rewire my whole rack.

I noticed no degregation of video switching through my Yamaha. My Yamaha DVD player has two sets of component outputs so it was easy to A/B. This upgrade had WAF written all over it becase it took the video switching task off the TV made it easier for her to use.