Another newbie surround speaker placement question

sire

As most everyone, my family room is not the best for installing a home theater. I am going to have to compromise for the surround speakers placement. If you look at the room layout you will see my lazy boy is not quite centered in the room. If I place the speakers (in wall) behind and to the side the one on the left will be about 4' above and 4.5'from my left ear. The right will be in the wall about 9' from my right ear. Won't that change the dynamics of the effect?

I could put ceiling speakers above about 4' to each side but I have not seen that placement recommended anywhere. I forgot to state, the speakers on each side of the TV are RB-5IIs on 24" stands and a RC-3II is on top of the TV. I am not sure how the room layout will hurt the sound as to the left of my seat is a fireplace with a stone wall almost the length of the room.

Any opinions/recommendations are appreciated. I guess the question is ceiling speakers evenly spaced above and behind by head or side inwall speakers unevenly spaced. Thanks

Mike

rb-5IIS LF & RF

rc-3IIs center

Maybe rcr5 or rcw5 for surround

sub to be determined

hk avr 520 receiver

post-5411-13819247417034_thumb.jpg

Well I guess I will try again. Is anyone using using reference ceiling speakers for the surrounds? If so, will this option be satisfactory? I do not have a vaulted ceiling so they will be pointing straight down. The information I have been reading states the surround channels mostly provide ambient sounds (rain, crickets, winds, stuff like that) I am assuming this option is preferable to no surrounds at all. My room layout is attached in the above post. TIA

mike

Sorry no one replied to your post. I'll try to help.

Using In-Wall speakers in your ceiling is a bad idea. Say you are listening to a movie in 5.1, and a car in the movie drives past the camera to your right. What you will hear is the car moving from the center to the right main to the right surround. If the surrounds are above you, it will sound as if the car took flight as it got beside you. That won't sound right. Using In-Wall speakers would be your best bet. Having them at different distances won't be a problem either. If you have any receiver made in the last 3-4 years it should have the ability to delay output from any speaker to accomodate for different speaker positions in oddly shaped rooms. My Denon allows me to change the delay on the surrounds and it's nearly 4 years old. As a matter of fact, my left surround is 2 feet closer than my right, so I adjusted the delay and it sounds just right to me.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, just ask.

I have the RCR-5 as my surrounds in a 12' foot ceiling (no other real choice due to layout and design requirements) and am very happy with them.

For things you mentioned like rain etc. they work great. To quote my wife "they freak me out, I thought it was really raining". And I've never heard a car drive off camera and fly above me (except for the Delorean in Back to the Future).

I also like having them in the ceiling for 5.1 stereo when listening to music.

Speedy

Thank for your opinions on which way to go with the surrounds. I got the tape measure out and did some checking on the rear side walls near the ceiling. Appears that I could fit a an rs3 in the wall just above the inwall bookcase to the left and one on the way to my right. Looks like the speakers would be about 3' behind and 4' above my seat with the speakers facing each other. This looks like it will be the best I can do. I like the look of the in ceiling speakers but I am not sure I can stand the heat if I put holes in the ceiling. Guess I will take the cowards way out. Fight the battles that are woth the battle I say. 1.gif Thanks again for the help. I may not have the $$$ system like others but I want to set it up the best I can.

Mike

rb-5IIS main

rc-3IIs center

rs3 at store waiting on me for surrounds

sub to be determined

hk avr 520 receiver