Moving your speakers away from the walls.

m00n

People say to move your speakers (RF7s) away from the wall. What is it that is going on which makes this more ideal to having them up against the wall? I moved my RF7s out into my room a bit and the dialog does seem to be cleaner. I also changed my settings to all small. I guess I am interested in how this has an affect on the accoustics.

Thanks guys!

m00n

m00n,

The RF-7s are ported (x2) to the rear. When the speakers are close to the wall, the port noise is reflected as well as reflections from the drivers. If the speakers are in a corner, then the reflections are further magnified.

The small setting is for all of my speakers; I use a crossover of 50 Hz which puts less strain on my receiver. Also, there is no phase problem between the sub and the full range speakers. Phase issues can cause muddy bass and cancellations.

How is the RF-7 center doing?

bill

I set my center to small, well all of them for that matter. Moved them away from the back wall and put each of my two subs in corners. I have only watched one movie since I have moved things around which was Shrek. The dialog was much better. But the real test will be to put the other movie back in which was giving me problems and that movie was Treasure Planet.

When you move the speakers away from the wall the soundstage increases and the bass decreases. If you move them closer to the wall, then the bass increases and the soundstage decreases. I usually suggest starting at 2 feet away from the back and side walls. Then move out in 2 inch increments, if you like the sound keep on going. If you don't move them back closer to the wall. A 1/2 inch difference may be the magic spot for your listening position and ears, so it takes some moving, but is ultimately worth the effort.

I have tried this and I can hear the difference.

A lot of testing can pay off. I've been moving mine around for months. The bass of my Cornwalls is wonderful in the corners but the imaging and debth does change by pulling them out. I've seen some brands in certain rooms pulled out 5' from the rear and side walls.

I found that 3-4' was great imaging--especially for HT but I lost a lot of bass. For HT w/Sub this wasn't an issue. For 2-channel I really missed the bass. I now have them in the corners about 18" from each wall. Corns are front ported so I think I have more flexibility than w/rear ported speakers.

I've also tried the recommended across the corners and long wall approach which I want to spend more time with. Here I'm closer to the front wall than the speakers are apart. This isn't the normal equalateral triangle rule.

It's a cheap way to tweek your sound.