Bottlehead for newbies?

Craig6519

Here is a phono stage that is supposed to challenge anything under $1500.

http://www.hagtech.com/cornet.html

It is a kit or $595 assembled. In kit form there is a lot of room for improvement through better parts.

I've got enough projects lined up so I don't really want to take on another one.

The EAR phono sounds interesting to me at the moment...but then I read this:

"My only interest in posting this is to spread the word about a highly worthy manufacturer (in who's success I have nothing to gain financially). Is the Coronet in the league with the Wright WPP100C and the phono section of my Wright WPL20? U-betcha-by-golly !! I'm not sure what pieces of gear this little overachiever should be pitted against - perhaps a Thorsten modded EAR 834 ? Of course if you're modding, you might as well start with the Hagerman, and if you're soldering challenged, then the $595 (completely built) price might be called s-t-e-a-l-i-n-g.

You can view John's work in the link below. Take off the '_jp' in the URL to view Peter's big, bad boy.

Cheers,

Thom @ Redpoint"

My biggest concern is the cost of the pre + phono + TT + arm + cart. That is why I'm looking forward to testing the Scott 299c integrated and was trying to buy the VPI Jr w/Sumiko Blue Point for $625 on audiogon...but I was too late.

Hi Craig

I had so much fun building,and then subsequently tweaking, my Foreplay and Paramours. The wait was a little long, but I suppose that was due to great anticipation.

The Bottlehead forum is really great too.

Lots of people on that board have ST70s as well .. you can get some quality feedback on what to expect in comparison. What are you looking to make?

steve

I have a ST-70 right noe totally tweak by Craig@NOSvalves, I was so impressed by it I thought It might be cool to build my own just for fun. I'd start off with level 1 because I'm totally new to this kind of thing. I was just wondering how It would compare, I'd Imagine I'd probably be dissapointed after hearing the ST-70.

Craig

I'm thinking of building this phono stage. Here's the feedback I got from the company/person.

"The Cornet betters the Foreplay (just plain more amplifier, hence it costs more). The Wright is VERY good and super-competitive with the Cornet. They are basically equal in quality with the Cornet having slightly better bass and the Wright with more gain. Basically, the choice comes down to aesthetics.

The EAR is sub-par to both of them using an inferior topology and cheaper components. But it looks way cool. "

well, the "I made that" factor is definitely cool. Need a pre? maybe do the Foreplay ... I imagine they sell way more Foreplay kits than anything else, lotsa info on the board. I'm totally serious, I had a blast making it ...

I also had a blast tweaking my ART DI/O. Different animal (dac, pcb), but just as fun and sounds great. I've got the diy bug .. looking for a project at the moment unfortunately.

steve

Go for it! It will be a marvelous experience and you will learn much from it. It also will give you a sense of satisfaction on building something that sounds good :)

I built both the Foreplay and Paraglows stock from kit but have upgraded them over the years to their current incarnation. You can see them by clicking on my signature.

The Bottlehead forum is a treasure trove of info with friendly people willing to give assistance/advice when asked.